(touchy subject) How long do you wait once they start pipping to help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Jul 31, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Hey. as most of you know, my eggs starting pipping this morning about 10am. one i can see movement and chirping w/.
    there are a few more with recent cracks.

there is one, from this morning though, that has made NO progress since about 11am. no movement either.

then there are the 2 newest pips and i don't hear any noise, and see no movement.

HELP!!!! ANY TIPS WOULD BE GREAT!!!!! [​IMG]

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Everyone has their own preference. I just kinda wing it. If I think they need help then I help a little and just keep an eye on them, but if i remove any of the shell and any bleeding starts then I stop immediately. I may be wrong to do this but it has worked for me.

3. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    how long do you wait??? it's been 7 hrs. i've read it can take up to 12 hrs for them to hatch from the start of pipping.

my last hatch was a diaster, all died.

i'm so nervous ..... [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't help yet! Chicken eggs can take up to 24-36 hours to hatch after pipping, and often the chick will be asleep for much of that time, so there will be no movement or sound. If you help too early, the chick can bleed to death or hatch with the yolk unabsorbed, which is dangerous.

I hatch ducks and mine often take up to 48 hours to start zipping after pipping. Over time I've gotten a feel for when they need help, but my general rule is that I don't help any eggs until all the others are hatched all the way. If they are having trouble after the pip, most of the time they either are already dead (in which case, there is no point in helping) or they will be fine in there for two days or more (in which case, it won't hurt to wait before helping).

I know it's super hard. At the least, you want to KNOW. But it will pay off to wait. The best thing is to leave the house for a few hours, or go on to bed early. I bet they'll be fine.

Good luck!!

5. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    thank you so much!!! makes me feel so much better.

and actually...the one that has been waiting 8 hrs now...is rockin around in there like crazy! [​IMG]

i've got 4 so far that have pipped. one has her beak all the way out, and is just taking her time.

another who i can see moving under the white membrane...

and then one that just has a crack still...nothing more.

hey, so far thats 4 fuzzies that should be here [​IMG]

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

I'm so glad they're giving you some action now, so you can rest a little easier. Nevertheless, if they're anything like my babies, they'll give you a few more scares before you're done. [​IMG]

Good luck with the hatch. Sounds like it's going great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by