Tough Birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jarcoo0153, Nov 18, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Tuesday, we butchered 4 of my roosters, and I have not ate mine yet, But the ones my grandpa took he said they were tough. What causes this and is there any way to fix it? They were plenty fat. Is it what I feed them that causes this?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

How did he cook them? We cook ours either low and slow or fast and hot.

Steve

3. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You need to let them rest first off. I have let older birds sit in the fridge for 4-5 days, and that helps some. The other part is cooking method. You want to cook them slowly w/ plenty of moisture. I've read some let them cook in a crockpot for up to 12 hours, making sure there is moisture the whole time.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Did he eat it Tuesday evening? They should age a day or two. How old were the roos? A 2-5 year old roo will be tough unless cooked low & slow.

5. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    yes he ate them tuesday evening, the birds were 5 months old. he says that his mother never aged her birds, she would just kill one for supper, and it tasted fine. Keep in mind I am trying to convince a hard headed 83 yr old man. Mine have been in the fridge since tuesday, and we are going to put them in the freezer today!

6. isabrowneyedsue

isabrowneyedsue Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    upper michigan
    i just finished butchering the last of my roos (thank goodness they were making me crazy) and i let them cool and rest for two days, the roosters were over six months old, and plenty fat too. we got some roosters from our gpa too, he didn't want them because they were tough, i asked how he cooked them, and he did everything right, just didn't let them rest....i'm telling you, that may have been the BEST chicken i have ever eaten in my life. i made yummy chicken stock and canned the rest for the pantry. this was our first year raising our own meat birds, and next year i want to do double YUMMM

7. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Killed my first three birds in September.
    Each one was cooked identically, roasted whole in the oven at the same temperature.

Two day rested bird was chewy and a wee bit wildish tasting.
    Three day rested was milder.
    Four day rested in the refrigerator was nice and tender and still tasted ever so wildish but that was nice and expected considering the garden scraps and bugs they ate all summer.

So from now, on I won't eat a chicken until it has rested in the refrigerator for at least four days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by