Tough chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kathryn79, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Kathryn79

Kathryn79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    Anyone else have stories of chicks that blow your mind? I had a successful hatch on Monday of 8 chicks, with 3 more eggs that I had candled previously and 2 were not viable but I left them in anyway. I had my last chick hatch last night with a prolapsed vent and the yolk still attached, after cutting the umbilical chord and pushing it's insides back inside it the chick survived the night and flourished today. I went to remove the other eggs from the incubator just now and one was hatching WT?? That incubator had been open for about 3 hours last night while I was performing chick surgery (lol) and today we lost power for about 5 hours due to birds nesting in our power box.. I cannot believe this chick that I didn't know existed is now hatching and after being through so much! How amazing are they :)

2. stasichick

stasichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    aw wow! tough as nails! <3

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I decided to order hatchery chicks in February once, what a pain that was! I brood outside, because I can't stand the dust and dander, and I had so many problems that year. My bulbs kept blowing on my heat lamp, leaving the chicks in the cold (and wind, and snow-which was actually blowing into part of their hutch!). I couldn't believe none of them died! They actually thrived! They feathered out super fast, were very healthy and active and convinced me that I'd never brood inside again, no matter what the weather was like outside. I do, however, make sure I have plenty of backup bulbs for that darn heat lamp though!

Glad your chicks are doing well!

4. stasichick

stasichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2014
    Long Island
    i have an injured baby and am hoping to say i have a "tough chick" story to share soon... her head was stuck under the heating pad when she showed up... she was in rough shape... but she made it through the night and shes been really trying to survive. I really hope she does. say a chicken prayer for her <3

5. Kathryn79

Kathryn79 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Australia
    They're amazing aren't they. I think this last chick was a bit weak as I had to just help it get out the shell after 16 hours and a half zipped egg, here it is, it's [​IMG]overcome all adversity lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by