Tough decision...Updated!!

pierce652

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
I have several chickens which I got on fathers day this year. From the beginning there was one girl, we named her "Milton" because we were told she was moulting. Well she wasnt. She was the bottom of the pecking order. To boot she's blind in at least one eye and cant really see much out of the other.

Over the past few days things have gotten really bad. She's started doing this wierd craning thing with her head. One or two of the other younger chickens force her into a corner and go to town on her. She hides her face and takes it. Tonight I went to see her and she's bleeding around the butt area. Ive tried hot pick, the purple ointment and nothing is working.

I dont have another coop, even a small one. She sleeps in one of the nesting boxes. I really dont know what to do because she's not gonna be able to take much more. Any ideas for a quick solution. I'd hate to cull her but I dont have the time to build another coop and run.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
IMO, putting her out of her misery may be the kindest thing you can do. I have a half blind chicken myself. Thankfully she's learned to stick up for herself and doesn't take **** from any of the others. She does quite well. However, if there ever came a time when living was just too hard on her I'd quickly bring her suffering to an end. She is my favorite and it's the least I can do for my little buddy.

Chickens can just be so mean sometimes. Sorry for your chickie. I guess putting her out of her misery is best. Unless you can find a chicken rescue or something.
hugs.gif

I think thats whats bugging me the most. She has been my "charity case" since day one. I quickly learned that she was getting picked on and therefore took special care of her.

I just dont know what to do. If I could build a super quick 1-2 chicken coop and small run I would in a heartbeat.

Quote:
I actually considered doing the same thing when Lil'Bit, my special one, was little and got picked on alot. Using pine tar helped stop the others from picking on her, but they still were mean to her. I seriously thought about building her a mini-coop but then I realized that she'd be all alone and wouldn't have other chickens to keep her company and warm in the wintertime.

I always bring my sick or injured birds into the house. If they need to be in a box, I put a towel in the bottom of a laundry basket and put the chicken in. That way it is also easy to move the chicken around in the house. I usually keep them in the bathroom, with rags or towels on the floor. A really sick chicken can also easily be covered with a towel when it is in a laundry basket, which makes it dark and warmer, so she can rest.
Guests are used to asking: "Any animals in the bathroom today?" before they go in to use the bathroom.

Can you maybe find a used dog crate to put her in? I see lots of them on Craigslist, usually pretty cheap. You could keep the crate in the pen with the others for company but she would be protected from the bullies. You could take her out once in a while by herself for special time pecking around in the yard.

Thanks for the dog crate idea...I cant believe I didnt think of it. Called a buddy of mine who has one that hes not using. If it held a 130lb lab I think it will hold one chicken. But what about the plastic floor of those things? Can they be taken out?

Now what to use for a little house for her? Almost thinking one of those rubbermaid bins but Im not sure it will be warm enough. Maybe a cheap small doghouse, probably too big. Maybe cut some plywood to size and make a small box for one end. Zip tie the cage to it though drilled holes in the plywood and add an access door.

I may be able to help her yet!

Last edited:
Quote:
You could build her a little chicken wire run around her little coop !! I wouldnt worry about the floor to much just put some shavings on top of it !! Hope it works !!

Back
Top Bottom