Tough Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cassandra, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    I really just had a chance today to cook my first eggs. They are RIR eggs, about medium size.

I noticed that the shells are much thicker (harder to crack) than commercial eggs. Plus, I fried the eggs and it seemed like the white was rubbery in parts. I don't think it was my technique! I make a mean fried egg!

Is that pretty typical, do you think? The girls eat laying pellets and forage.

Cassandra

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Shells are harder and whites more viscous than commercial eggs because your birds are getting what they need.

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    yep commercial eggs are produced by laying machines and judged/packaged to be of uniform size and shape. home grown eggs are natural, sometimes you'll notice the shells can get thin or brittle or lumpy. you should also notice a differance in the color of the yolks and an overall stronger flavor.
    Shouldtn take long befor you become an egg snop like the rest of us and start turning your nose up at store bought eggs.

4. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats true. I don't even let anyone eat those eggs around me. It's such a shame when people are to hard headed to even try fresh eggs.

5. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    It's such a shame when people are to hard headed to even try fresh eggs.

I offered some fresh eggs to a friend of mine and she said, "No, thank you. I can't eat eggs raised at home. I just keep imagining them coming out of the chicken's butt." I wonder where she thinks the store-bought eggs come from![​IMG]

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Quote:I offered some fresh eggs to a friend of mine and she said, "No, thank you. I can't eat eggs raised at home. I just keep imagining them coming out of the chicken's butt." I wonder where she thinks the store-bought eggs come from![​IMG]

My mom wouldn't ever try any of my chicken's eggs! She said it was because my dad would always say "PEEP PEEP PEEP" whenever she ate any sort of egg. I told her I didn't have a rooster, but she still wouldn't try 'em! Now she eats them with pleasure, but won't try duck eggs (the ones from the grocery store)

7. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Our brown RIR eggs have tougher shells too. And the yolks are a more rich yellow color than store bought.

And it's odd that you mentioned the fried texture. I always scramble my eggs but this morning my hubby offered to cook (who can refuse that?!) and his eggs were more fried than scrambled. I noticed they seemed chewy/tougher but I didn't want to complain to hubby. I thought he over-cooked them. I think I'll stick to scrambling mine from now on.

Karen

8. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote:I offered some fresh eggs to a friend of mine and she said, "No, thank you. I can't eat eggs raised at home. I just keep imagining them coming out of the chicken's butt." I wonder where she thinks the store-bought eggs come from![​IMG]

I brought my eggs in to work to show coworkers all the different color eggs and got that chicken-butt response! I asked the girl if she ate eggs?- yes - Where she got them? - Grocery - and then I ASKED her where she thought the grocery store got them....? a magic egg tree...?.... just like the magic fryer tree and don't leave out that bacon tree!. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by