tough eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MelB, Aug 8, 2010.

1. MelB

MelB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    This is the first year I've had chickens - when I try to crack open the eggs they're quite difficult to break and it seems the membrane on the inside is quite tough. Inevitably I end up with pieces of egg shell in the bowl with the eggs. Is this because they are so fresh or do i need to change something with their diet?

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Mine are the same way, I think that's the way they are supposed to be if their diet is good. I had to use a knife on mine this morning to cut the inner membrane. I have purchased farm-fresh eggs for years, and i think it's just the nature of the beast when they are raised properly.

3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Mine did that too. I think it is because they are so fresh. They don't do it anymore, but I theorize that that is because they sit around for a few days before I use them.
    Also, my thumbnail has gotten longer and sharper, so that helps.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Give this a try.

https://www.ezcracker.com/?MID=722585

Ha!

Actually - your eggs are really healthy. Nice hard shell is good, & the membrane will get weaker if you let them sit in the fridge for a month or so.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Pretty normal. I've found that as my pullets mature the shells and membranes thin out a bit, they're still hard but not tough like the first couple of months.

6. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Yup, that's a farm fresh egg!
    I crack the egg and then stick my thumb in there to break the membrane, THEN pull the shell apart. Works pretty slick!
    A friend also has raises her own chickens, but ran out of eggs once. She bought some from the store and when she went to crack it, she smashed it to smithereens!
    It takes a little getting used to, but once you get it down, you will enjoy crunchless morning eggs! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's also related to your hens' age. When my old ladies were in their prime they laid eggs like that, but over time the shells get paler and thinner, and the membranes get less elastic.

You think chicken eggs are tough? You should try a duck egg. Those babies can be dropped from 4 feet onto a hardwood floor and still not break. Amazingly tough eggs.

8. MelB

MelB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by