Tough guy Roo needs to learn some manners!!!But how?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickfillhay, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I have a 3 month old roo, One of four Buff Orpington Roos who thinks he's all that and a bag of feed too!
    Lately when I go into the pen he comes around me trying to intimidate and scare me. Sometimes he'll peck me! "Hey! I'm not your hen! I tell him." Is the best way to make him submissive to me to push him down in the lay position. I noticed some of the hens do that for me. I'm guessing they're being good little girls. But this guy. WOOF!

2. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    We named one of our buff orp boys "Leroy Brown" because he thinks he's the baddest chicken around. He's not pushing humans around yet, but he's only 12 weeks old and is already attempting to crow and to mount my cornish cross hen. And she lets him!

Next time he tries to push you around, catch him and put him under your arm. Hold him firmly and carry him around for a while, so that he knows you're the boss. Some people say you can hold him upside down by the feet, and lay him in your lap belly up, but I haven't tried either of these.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a roo that was getting a little too big for his britches too. I followed rooster-red's helpful advice (see the link below) and followed my own instincts. My roo wouldn't peck, he'd bite. When he would do that I'd snatch him up quick and refuse to let him go until he could remain perfectly calm. I don't allow him to try to mate or in any way harrass any of the hens in my presence. I also don't allow him to be the first to the treat tray. It aggravates him to no end to have to wait, he loves treats, but it's worked wonders for his attitude. Now that this roo has been knocked down a few spaces on the totem pole and accepted that I am the top roo around here, my other roo has stopped being a scaredy cat and has even started crowing. Thankfully, this roo is a gentle sweet boy that's good with the hens (and me), but if he ever forgets he will get the same treatment his brother did.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2588-Roo_behavior

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    He has to be taught that you are the Alpha roo. [​IMG]

5. squirtnlex

squirtnlex Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2007
    Pa
    Oh!! this was helpful,,,,my rooster is very mean, but yes, i see him as a protector to our hens.....the neighbor has lost many hens to racoons, but i dont see that as a problem with him.....my hubby wants him gone, but im keepin him, hopefully the new little roo wont pressure him too much!
    thanks for the link to the rooster page!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:RR, you could just start a school for deliquent little roos. We could all send you our problem children and you could send them back to us after they've learned to be gentlemen. What do you say? [​IMG]

7. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If he ever decides to come at you once full grown and with spurs you will regret your descision to keep him. A ten pound bird weilding 1/2in spurs can do major damage and if skin is broken you can almost count on an infection setting in. Agressiveness is a trait passed on and I personally will not keep a rooster that shows agressive behavior to me. They wind up in a pot.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:RR, you could just start a school for deliquent little roos. We could all send you our problem children and you could send them back to us after they've learned to be gentlemen. What do you say? [​IMG]

I've been doing that locally for months now.

My DW's cousin sent a vicious RIR roo to me 3 weeks ago, I sent him back home Friday, the cousin called me up and asked me jokingly if this was the same rooster.

We spent 3 hours together the first day, but I broke him in.

9. luvmyturkens

luvmyturkens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    We too followed rooster red's advice. My husband was the one who would pick him up and carry him. He even carried him over to the baseball field next door. Talk about humiliating a rooster. Anyway, it really worked for my husband. Even if Flapper is in a rotten mood, as soon as my husband opens the door to the pen, he turns and walks the other way. Unfortunately, my husband is the only one he does that for as of now. I have to work up the nerve to snatch him up myself. I'm hoping that if we continue to do this, he will become "afraid" of everyone. We can't leave him run loose, because, as I said, we have a baseball field/public park next door. I won't tolerate him going after my kids, but my 10 year old loves him and doesn't want to get rid of him. So we'll give him a chance

[​IMG]

10. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Awesome! I read the link. And will do exactly that! I want to keep him 'cause he is so gorgeous! He has started to mate and the roo I call "Cookie Monster is pretty tiny but has just as much spunk. The difference, HE LUVS ME! I am pretty certain he thinks I am his hen. At night he'll jump on my lap and go to sleep. He chases everybody else.
    I get pictures to share later today!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by