Tough Little Mister Nice Guy - Pullet Proof?

SilkieMitch

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
Edit: I realize now that this should really be in the “what gender” section, but I don’t know how to switch categories (or if you can)! Sorry!

My cockerel just started crowing (what a proud daddy I am)! I have what I am 70% sure are four Japanese Silkie pullets and one silkie cockerel (all 21 weeks old). Considered they’re Silkies, 70% is a high certainty rate, but I am dying to know for sure! 😂🤣 They live in a 3.5 by 3 foot coop (plus 1 foot nest box) with an attached 5 by 4.5 foot run, and they spend most of their day free roaming around my cabin. (I spend my whole day working on my porch, so I’m able to keep an eye on my little guys.)

My little cockerel, Roodolph the Rooster, has recently taken to showing his dominance off in the most adorable way. He will run at the pullets with flapping wings for about three feet, causing them to run off a few feet. Then, ten minutes later, he’ll turn right around and bring them bugs or show them good places to forage. It’s almost like he goes from “LOOK AT ME, I’M A BIG, TOUGH MAN!” to “Oh did I scare you? Here is a prezzie to make up for it.”

What I am wondering is if his behavior toward my probably-pullets implies that they really ARE pullets or if he would act this way toward another little dude, too, if I have another (slower blooming) cockerel in the group, too?

my cuties, all fluffed up

F01EB803-9094-41FF-8C83-71FE202C7B8E.jpeg

My little man:

Attachments

• E8D33315-66EF-447C-88F3-747EEB5CCF5C.jpeg
    E8D33315-66EF-447C-88F3-747EEB5CCF5C.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom