Tough Love

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BolenBrood, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BolenBrood

BolenBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Idaho
    I bought pellet feed instead of the crumble feed and my hens refuse to eat it! I am cutting them off from treats until they get hungry enought to eat the pellets. Is that a stupid idea? Will they starve themselves? I think my hens are going to win this battle.

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    They'll eat it if they get hungry. I remember reading a post where someone else did this, it took the hens about 2 or 3 days then they started eating. I feed my crumbles and never swapped to pellets because it's easier transition when my babies move from starter to grower/layer.

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    I think my hens are going to win this battle.

[​IMG] They already have!!

OK according to the "truth in posting bylaws" you have to show a little more resolve if you are gonna post anything about "Tough Love" here! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  4. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] My hens don't like the pellets either. I've noticed that the feed last longer than the crumbles. I feel guilty if I don't have some kind of treat for them, they work hard to lay eggs for us and therefore deserve a good treat. I'm going back to crumbles just to keep em' happy.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I use pellets and that is all they get feed wise. They get table scraps else wise. I find crumble to be wasteful and a quarter of it ends up on the ground blended up with dirt in no time. They'll eat it when they get hungry.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree with silkiechicken...pellets are the way to go. Almost no waste. If a pellet hits the ground, the see it, and gobble it up. It may take them a few days to realise its food, but they will...Just tap your finger in the feeder...like you did when they were babies. ( we all did this....right?? Or am I wierd??) LOL In my area, pellets are cheaper, as well...I would never use crumbles again....other than for the new babies.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:No comment.

Okay, I'll go back to my corner and behave now.

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just accidently switched to pellets...........and my chickens weren't to happy bout it...........it does seem like there is much less waste though....so will keep buying pellets....... [​IMG]

9. BolenBrood

BolenBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Idaho
    I think what is stressing me out is I don't want them to get too hungry and stop laying my delicious eggs! I also feel aweful because they get so excited to see me because they think they are getting some treats and all I do is tap the feeder and tell them to eat their pellets:hit

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I switched over to pellets and it did take awhile...I had pellets in the small feeder inside the coop, and still had crumbles in the outdoor feeder. Then, we had a day that is was EXTREMELY windy and cold, and they decided to stay in the coop all day. Guess what? That's the day they decided the pellets weren't all that bad!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by