Tough Momma...

TomGallopavo

Songster
11 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Hillbillyville, MO
Be an interesting broody year at the chicken ranch. My first broody had seven eggs and all died, that was in the spring. She didn't give up so we gave her 5 more which she took to term and raised 3 nice hens for us (lucky). Second broody does basically the same except the first eggs were a mess...broken, half dead, got one out but it was weak and died. Gave her seven more and we are happy to report....she eat one a week ago (yuk), 5 hatched yesterday, and one egg is silent so far.

We did have an issue with the first one though. Mom apparently eat much of the shell off and the membrane was dry. I did my best to keep it moist...really to no avail. After 24 hours I went out to find 4 others hatched and this poor thing in a heck of a predicament...so I brought it inside, got the tiny scissors and spray bottle and very carefully cut it out. I was amazed at how much strength the little bugger had left so back under mom it went. I'm glad to report at this point it is almost dry and looks to be no worse for the weary.

Anyway, here is mom with two that are up and about (it's very hot here right now):

Back
Top Bottom