Tough month...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Naked Farm, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Naked Farm

Naked Farm Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2013
    Henry County, VA
    July was a tough month for us...We caught a 5' black snake in the nesting boxes, 2 possums, & lost a Barred Rock to what we're guessing is a mink or muskrat two nights ago, from the 'damage'. Any ideas in how to protect our ladies better?

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Sorry you have had a rough time. How is your coop set up? Sounds like it time for some reinforcements. I'm sure with more details, you will get a few suggestions and ideas.

3. Naked Farm

May 19, 2013
    Henry County, VA
    We let the girls roam freely during the day & close it up at night. The coop has a dirt floor & 3' wood wallsthat then have 3' chicken wire to the roof. There is a 20'x30' run with 7' chicken wire attached to the coop. We did bury about 6" of the wire in their outside space to help deter digging under.

4. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Have you been able to tell how the opossums and mink got in the coop? Snakes are a different story. That one probably came in through the run of just chicken wire. Usually snakes are looking for rodents, but if one finds eggs he will eat them too. Installing an electric wire just above the ground would help deter any 4 legged predators.

5. Naked Farm

May 19, 2013
    Henry County, VA
    Ooooo...Haven't thought of electrifying the fence... We have to do that for our garden because of deer, rabbits, turkeys, etc, so it could be done. There's been no evidence of holes in the ground or fence, but that's not to say we just haven't found it. The strangest part is that our flock is almost 2 yes old & we've only had trouble with 3 possums until now. Thanks! I really appreciate the new idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by