Tough one! 11.5 week chick - Sex me!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tamara119, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Tamara119

Tamara119 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2012
    Bariloche, Patagonia
    So I have three 11.5 week chicks, one I'm sure is male, one female, and then this one. I thought it was a pullet, but now I'm not so sure, now that there's a speck of red in the shoulders. The father is a white rooster of unknown breed and the hen is a tailed araucana. I'm putting pics of them too. HELP!! Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roo:
    [​IMG]

Hen:
    [​IMG]

There is a very slim chance that this one is the roo:
    [​IMG]

2. Tamara, I think there is more than a slim chance of roo #2 is the daddy. Lack of comb development in the cockerel is what is leading me to say this.

Wish ya the best.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I vote maybe male, can't decide either, just looking at it I would say male, with that red color and the feet are pretty big. But looking more closely and I would expect more comb/wattle at 11.5 weeks in a male, the feathers are coming in red but they seem to hold pattern and it looks like it is getting darker feathers in general like in the front, and I am not seeing any pointy saddle feathers, those still seem to be pretty rounded.

4. Tamara119

Jul 14, 2012
    Bariloche, Patagonia
    Well, I really hope the sire roo is the red one and not the white one! I just figured the chick got it's mother's comb. The mother has very large feet, thick legs and a big frame, and when she was young I also couldn't decide about her. Those tail feathers are just so long and straight, I can't figure this one out! Thanks for the feedback!

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Does the mom lay a blue egg?

6. Tamara119

Jul 14, 2012
    Bariloche, Patagonia
    Yep, a big bluey/teal egg, often with spots!

[​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The chick is male and the father is the red rooster.

8. Tamara119

Jul 14, 2012
    Bariloche, Patagonia
    Okey-dokey. You've all confirmed my suspicion. Thanks much!

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I personally wouldn't declare it final, final yet.

I am leaning towards roo...but the body looks more pullet like than roo like even with the larger legs. (I've had plenty of hens with large legs.)

I have an EE pullet mix that had pinkish comb and began to develop red in her wings that cause me to ponder her gender again...but the pattern evened out and she is definitely a pullet. (Her feather color changed almost weekly for awhile.)

I too don't see saddle feathers, yet...it looks like a pea comb in the photo (I have to enlarge it until its grainy, so I could be wrong there).

The comb does look pretty well developed and reddish for 11.5 weeks for a pea comb...count how many rows. Generally (not always) the males will have 3 definite rows while the girls will have one dominant row with 2 tiny rows beside it. I'm still learning "real life" pea comb identification myself just having gotten my EE's with what appear (thus far) to be female pea combs.

Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by