Tough RIR layers - what to do?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by crealbilly, Feb 27, 2017.

1. crealbilly

crealbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA
    I have several old RIR layers processed whole and frozen. I tried frying and it's to tough to eat.

I was thinking maybe chicken jerky but I don't know...

How do you cook your tough old chicken to eat?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Old birds are best suited for soup and stock.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, not frying at all.

first, did the birds rest at all before being frozen? If not, let them rest after they're thawed. Put them in the fridge for 3ish days before you cook them. That allows the rigor to pass.

Even then, these birds need a low and slow cooking method, usually with moist heat. Soup, crockpot and pull the meat for casseroles, etc. Pressure cooker is also a great way to go. But frying or roasting, not so much.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - did you process them yourself or have them processed? If the latter, I'd rest the meat at thaw on the presumption they may not have been rested at the time of processing - then choose a preparation that is appropriate for the type of meat. Unfortunately for good frying you need to process them as fryers, which are very young birds.

5. crealbilly

crealbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2015
    Southern Illinois, USA

I did process myself. I sealed them vacuum sealed (food saver) bags, then placed in the refrigerator 3 days, then tossed into the deep freezer. They are tough... I'll try cooking in the pressure canner and see what happens.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by