Tough rooster

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by the Pollo Loco, Dec 5, 2011.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    So I slaughter another extra roo I had... about ten month old, mutt. He was very easy to process, I let the meat rest for a day... I was hungering rotisserie chicken... so into the Ronco he went... I was disappointed that the meat was so tough, (yet tasty)... would putting him in the crock pot have been a better idea? [​IMG]

2. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    For me, anything under 6 months gets fried, smoked or grilled. After 6 months it gets boiled off and canned, or goes in the crockpot.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I was a newlywed, I fried a year old rooster. I made all the fixings for a nice fried chicken dinner. It was a memorable meal. Inedible but memorable. We couldn't eat the chicken. We tried, though. Tough beef you can usually gnaw a chunk off of. Not chicken. We ended having a nice chicken dinner without the chicken. I put the rooster in the crockpot and we ate him the next day.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Like what Cameron said. 6 months and over...SLOW cook.

5. the Pollo Loco

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Thanks!!! I've got three more roos... I'd better plan some crock pot dinners!! [​IMG]

6. chickmama1662

chickmama1662 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    I had some extra roos processed last month. They were 5 months old. The first one I fried ... it was pretty tough, you could eat it but it wasn't much fun. The second one I fixed over the weekend in the crockpot. Much, much better that was.

7. the Pollo Loco

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    I'm thinking meat birds would taste better than egg laying breeds... right?

8. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I don't know if the taste is any different, but you usually get more meat off a "meatie".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by