Toughest decision ever...our last chick born with no eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mrs. Feathers, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    The last egg of our hatch hatched a day later than the others. The little chick was born with no eyes. Not even a sign of any form of development of eyes. It`s head also seems to be slightly irregularly shaped and it has more that the typical new chick diffuculity walking and the others have been picking on it. After an hour of discussion...lots of tears from me...and sensible conversation from my hubby we have decided culling will be the most humane. The blindness would make life difficult enough but there seems to be more on top of it.
    This is the first time we have had to make this decision and it is making me feel ill. We raise birds for eggs and meat but at least our meat birds have an excellent quality of life before getting to that point and it just seems like this little one has nothing. Not sure why I am posting ...maybe just need a little emotional vent with others who may have "been there". [​IMG]

2. Blueggchick

Blueggchick ♥Dar's Blue Bayou Chicks♥

Apr 18, 2009
    SE LA
    How sad! I am sorry you had to go through this. That would be a very hard decision for me also. [​IMG]

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG] its too bad you arent near any city raisers, i know i would be willing to take on the challenge. i can only have a limited number of chickens, and i would gladly attempt to raise a blind hen as my girls have been extremely docile and i have never seen any pecking in my run whatsoever. i hope youre okay, i understand that what you have to do it really hard. [​IMG] wish i was around! id love a blind chick

4. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    It is hard for my to take a life but the life of your chick was a good reminder to you about much how much every life you are responsible for means to you. You sound like a person that would value ever individual's life and would not take even a small chicks life for granted. [​IMG] Thanks for your writing tonight I can always us the reminder myself.

5. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks to each of you for the kind and supportive words. We contemplated raising the chick when we thought the blindness was the only issue as we have a small flat second run and a couple very gentle little pullets. Then it did not get out of the newborn floppy stage and seemed to have a paralysis on its right side. Certainly seemed to be significant brain damage with the abnormal head shape.... this was the final clencher for us once we took a forward looking vision its quality of life as an adult....or even at several days or weeks old.
    In my past and present careers I am involved in the lives of children with special needs. My husband very gently reminded me this was not a child and guided me to look at it without humanizing the situation.

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    oh wow, darling [​IMG]

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It sounds like you have considered things with caring, reverence, and realism. And it sounds like your husband has been a wonderful partner in the process. Those things are beautiful.
    I'm sorry you had to lose a little one. Your decision sounds best to me. I believe the little chick has gone on to a very good place.
    May you be comforted. [​IMG]

8. Show Me Chick

Show Me Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    You did what was right and I'm so sorry you had to make that hard choice. A blind chicken would be nervous all the time and it would be cruel to let it live a stressful life like that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I think it was the right choice to make, you have to look at quality of life. I am very sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG]

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Culling it was for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by