Toulouse...eggs or chicks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silverfilly, Feb 17, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Ok, I really want some buff toulous with the dewlap and I found a breeder and asked her to be on her list for 6 eggs. Now im woundering if I made the right choice, for the 6 eggs I could get 3 chicks instead. I have a LG and my hatch rate is 80% + except in cold weather. I know I would have to buy the extender to raise my LG to be able to put in goose eggs but my question is how well do goose eggs ship? These are pretty expencive but I figure if Im going to raise them I want to raise quality birds.

Any sugestions?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I get great hatches when I ship my goose eggs. It depends on how they are shipped. Did you ask them how the plan to ship the eggs? Do they sex the goslings? I personally would go for the goslings.

3. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Sorry guess I spok to soon, I was just reading thier site again and they do not ship goslings, so its the eggs or nothing. Guess Ill try, they will be coming around May so it wount freez and my other hatch rates were pretty good on chicks and ducklings. So I guess just wish me luck

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good luck. Geese by far the very hardest I ever tried to hatch.

I have colored sebastopols and white sebastopols in my incubator now. [​IMG]

The colored sebbies are growing well. The whites I added this just this week so I have my fingers crossed for them all.

12 goose eggs in waiting.

5. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks, I do have some hatchery toulouse coming from Cackle but Im sure they are not the big nice dewlap kind and they are not buff. Let us know how well your hatch rate goes.

Anouther quik question, I have heard from some people that ducks and geese have to have a pond to mate, is this true and if so how deep does it have to be?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My buff dewlap toulouse are huge. A kiddie wading pool is what I give them to swim in and honestly it isn't big enough to suit me but it is all I could find last summer. My dewlap gander is enornous. They don't have to have water to mate but they seem to do their best mating in the water - if you know what I mean? I am trying to hatch my sebbie a mate. Hopefully with 12 eggs I should get something. My hatch rate on geese is at best about 73%.

7. silverfilly

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    there are some sebbies on eggbid right now, Im really tempted, I love them. but I need to slow down [​IMG] work on one thing at a time time..lol. quick someone go bid on them so I cant afford them..lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by