Toulouse geese cause fatality

marina

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
I have a beautiful pair of Toulouse geese that have recently begun attacking my chickens. They attack my roosters, several of whom now have no neck feathers, and they also try to mount some of my hens. One of my ladies was crushed by the goose and was limping. I separated the hen, put her in a separate coop, but she died in the night probably of internal bleeding.

I think that my only solution is to sell the geese, which is too bad as they are just beginning to lay.

Can anyone think of another way of avoiding this? I don't really have the option of putting the geese elsewhere...

Is this in the run or in the coop at night? I remember once a RIR roo tried to roost in my African pen one night... he could have easily been mistaken for a piece of beef jerky by the morning time. They are pretty ruthless. You can range them together during the day though, so long as they all have plenty of space.

They roost in separate places, but share the run. In winter, they are in my 2-acre fenced in farmden, and in season they are all in 2-lengths of movable electronet. It all seems like heaps of space to me...

Yikes! Roo jerky.

Hmm and the geese are just chasing them and attacking? Did you raise the geese around the chickens since they were little? That usally helps eliminate the aggression, but I have birds here that I purchased as adults and they never have problems with them chickens.. I guess it is mainly their individual personalities?

Can you not turn them out? My geese are aggressive with my chickens but since they free range they usually keep to themselves. Either that or make another run just for the geese.

The geese were raised with the hens, and they are all free-ranging with heaps of room. I think I may just have to sell the pair to a 4-H club. Too bad, as the goose has just started laying her eggs.

I have one pair of Toulouse that have to be separated during the breeding season. They are just too volatile. Buy a roll of field fencing and make them their own space. It only lasts about 6 weeks. Then things will go back to normal.

It's just a fact that geese can become aggressive during breeding season. They have potential to kill more of your chickens.

Thanks guys, I've put them in their own electronet for the breeding season.

Marina

I have had to isolate most of my geese as they are so aggressive at the moment - it is only overnight though.. it is as have been said .... the breeding season is here and no amount of education will stop them from being protective towards the laying females... cest la vie!

It will get better

Back
Top Bottom