Toulouse goose with broken leg

DaemsHaven

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2016
Semora, NC
Two weeks ago, we found one of our toulouse geese with a broken leg. Her name is Katie and she is about a year old. We aren't too sure how it happened but it the femur was completely broken and sticking out of the skin. We cleaned and disinfected the site and then made a splint and wrapped it to keep it immobile. The next day she went to the vet. He set the break and put a pin in that will have to be removed in about 6 weeks. We were told to keep her as immobile as possible.10 days later she went back in for a check up. She was doing well but the incision had torn and required two staples. We were told again to keep her immobile and bring her back in another 10 days.

I have three main questions.

1. Her foot is still unresponsive and doesn't seem to have any feeling. It is ice cold. Is this normal? If so, when could we expect to see this to start responding and retaining heat?

2. Though the vet seems optimistic, he has stated multiple times that if this is not successful that a goose cannot survive with one leg and she will have to be put down. I have seen many stories online about happy geese with one leg. Is it true that she cannot survive with one leg?

3. If the surgery was unsuccessful and she can survive with one leg, is it better to amputate the dead leg or leave it attached?

Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

I had a dove who had one leg after the other was pulled off by a racoon.
If you have heard stories about geese doing great with one leg, give her a fair chance. I also would have the bad leg amputated. It may become gangrenous and poison her.

That is what we were thinking about. Luckily the leg is starting to retain heat, but not all the time. She has another checkup tomorrow, so our fingers are crossed. We also found out that there is a place specializing in waterfowl prosthetics pretty close to us. So if we have to, we know there is someone out there who does it.

That is what we were thinking about. Luckily the leg is starting to retain heat, but not all the time. She has another checkup tomorrow, so our fingers are crossed. We also found out that there is a place specializing in waterfowl prosthetics pretty close to us. So if we have to, we know there is someone out there who does it.
That is a good sign so hopefully with healing, more blood flow. Please let us know what the vet has to say..
fl.gif

Last edited:
I gave 2 turkeys in two slings (more like hammocks).
One falls out once I am gone from the barn. The other has a broken leg so I suppose he can't. Just the sheet material is causing him to bleed where his leg exits the hole.

Question:
The slings are not well constructed.
Can the broken legged one heal himself just staying stable in the huge dog kennel? I don't have time to monitor these 2 beautiful birds

Dr. said, "splintered above the elbow."

Back
Top Bottom