Toulouse goslings with different colored beaks?

Sheepheart

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
After three years one of my geese finally managed to hatch out a clutch. Toulouse female and male, she had 8 eggs, 7 hatched, 6 made it out all the way and are surviving. I noticed that two of the surviving and the one that didn’t make it have pink feet and beak and the grey feathers are slightly lighter. I’m curious if they will all end being a different color? Like if there was a recessive gene that presented? I originally was going to wait it out and see but I had someone ask if they could buy a gosling. So if there is a potential color difference I want to be able to share that information with them with some confidence.

Not a great picture but the best I have at the time
74FC5E1D-8556-46BB-BF49-9791A77898CE.jpeg

Update, we had something coming in and killing the goslings and ducklings, only two of the goslings made it. They were the color in question to
IMG_6249.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 3
Update, we had something coming in and killing the goslings and ducklings, only two of the goslings made it. They were the color in question toView attachment 3600242
I’m so sorry you lost the other babies!

As for the geese, they’re all beautiful! By the looks of it they’re half Toulouse, half whatever your white geese are. I’m not an expert in color genetics but the gene that causes white in geese doesn’t cancel out other genetics but it does mask whatever is there. My guess is that whoever the other parent is there white is masking a dilution gene so the goslings got a copy of grey + the dilution making them pale.

I’m so sorry you lost the other babies!

As for the geese, they’re all beautiful! By the looks of it they’re half Toulouse, half whatever your white geese are. I’m not an expert in color genetics but the gene that causes white in geese doesn’t cancel out other genetics but it does mask whatever is there. My guess is that whoever the other parent is there white is masking a dilution gene so the goslings got a copy of grey + the dilution making them pale.
Originally I thought they would be buff but they definitely arnt. I had thought the parents were both Toulouse but that doesn’t seem to be the case now.
Watching the girls as they we’re building nests and laying, I never saw any of the embden go to this nest, so either I have a secret embden gander or a really sneaky female!

Originally I thought they would be buff but they definitely arnt. I had thought the parents were both Toulouse but that doesn’t seem to be the case now.
Watching the girls as they we’re building nests and laying, I never saw any of the embden go to this nest, so either I have a secret embden gander or a really sneaky female!
Well the Toulouse could be carriers, so maybe they are the parents? Like I said I don’t know much about the genetics that determine color but I think that’s the blue gene (Bl) and a visually grey bird can be a carrier.
It could be one the embdens still, it’s impossible to say what color they are under that white without some testing, girls can be sneaky too and it doesn’t help that they like to steal eggs from each other. 😂

Heres a great guide on color genes https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-guide-to-colour-and-pattern-genetics-in-geese.561779/

Back
Top Bottom