Toulouse Input Wanted

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BarredBuff, Jun 22, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    What are your expieriences with this breed? Are they good foragers? Are they good broodies? Thanks BarredBuff

2. amity3520

amity3520 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have one female production Toulouse and she is sweet as can be (though she has a rather vicious gander protecting her at all times). She only ever gets after the dog, but other than that she's fine. Good forager, good layer. She wasn't even 1 when she started laying so it was kind of an odd season, didn't go broody at all, but we witnessed no mating so there's no reason to believe the eggs were fertile anyways. Next year both geese should be mature enough. All in all I love her!

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Toulouse were our first Geese a couple of years ago.I wouldn't recommend getting too many if you have a small place.We have 5 acre's here.But between the duck's and the geese they can eat a LOT of grass and plant's and flower's if you free range them.They were Big babie's but I hand raised mine holding them everyday from gosling's, but a few did get tempermental in breeding stage I guess they all do.Yep I got nipped a few time's trying to steal or candle egg's lol.I think We lost a couple of the Gander's to Fox/coyote at one point because after those got nabbed the egg's were barely fertile.We ordered 20 hen's and 4 male's originaly.But We still had 4/5 sitting clutches of egg's.So I think they are great geese personaly.They will pick out people to harrass though.But Don't run from them Ever.My friend was a dummy they would cahse him to his car and he fell for it lol.

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Are you talking production toulouse or dewlap toulouse (exhibition toulouse)?

The foraging ability and production qualities of the two is quite different.

5. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:Production Toulouse.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ours are great sitters and forage very well. The 2 females sat and hatched out this "gang".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  7. BarredBuff

Dec 6, 2009
    How do Toulouse do on free range??

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:My babies (hatched May 3rd) just started free ranging. They are great- not really doing any damage to the garden as we have a few acres of grass. I have been keeping watering stations all over the place though because it's sooooo hot. The only hard part is getting them in at night- sometimes they want to go, sometimes we have to chase them all down. We have serious racoon problems so I HAVE to lock them up at night.

Of course they poop everywhere- but it only takes one rain or a shot with the hose and it turns into "lawn patch". Great- as far as poop goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by