1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toulouse keepers - can you tell me about them please?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by chickensioux, Sep 13, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have been researching these large, beautiful geese. But only the keepers of them can tell me what they are really like.
    Noisy?

I have a male Embden (very old) and a juvenile sebbie female.
    Which would be best - male or female?

Anything else I need to know?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Toulouse aren't always very large, Only the best Standard Bred (show birds) Tend to be huge. For years the name toulouse has been used as the name for any grey goose including a bunch of crosses. For that reason I will not try to describe the breed. more depends on the line of the bird than on it's so called breed. Sorry That I can't be of more help.

3. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    Although I own three Toulouse, I am not an expert on this breed. I raised 4 young Toulouse that were very affectionate and quiet. They became food for a predator..probably due to their gentleness. I now bought 3 full grown Dewlap Toulouse mix. They are larger than my first set. abit noisier but only if they are upset. as far as being friendly, I think they would be if you raised them from being small. My toulouse still run from me but get close when I have a treat such as bread or corn.
    They are free range along with over a dozen chickens and they all get along great. They are territorial and will sound off when a stranger comes in the gate, but protective of the chickens.
    I chose Toulouse because they quieter and not as aggressive. I have had only one try to bite me and that was due to me going out in the middle of the night with a flashlight..I spooked him [​IMG]
    From what I read there are a regular Toulouse which are more slender and a Dewlap Toulouse which are heavier and have sagging necks. of course I have two very prominent saggy Dewlaps and one that looks to have dewlap mixed since his neck isn't very saggy.
    They have beautiful feathers for making pillows and projects. (I collect loose feathers off the ground)
    I thought the regular Toulouse was pretty much known as your basic farm gray goose. If they are free range like mine they seem to love being around people and pretty much stay by my front door during the day...even though we built a lean to house [​IMG]
    I [​IMG] my Toulouse!

4. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Are we talking production toulouse or exhibition/dewlap toulouse?

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the geese that are available. What are these?

6. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    Those are production, or common, toulouse. They are good for meat production. In my experience they have decent temperaments, more docile than embdens, and make a good cross with embdens for meat birds.

They are not showable.

I have dewlap toulouse. They are very large birds, and very docile for geese. I prefer them, but they do require more food than production toulouse, and are harder to hatch. My personal preference is based on their looks and temperaments.

7. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I am just looking for a pet. No breeding, showing, etc. Just to look at it. Thanks for your info

8. sillysister74

sillysister74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    I love my Toulouse as well as my Embdens Yes sometimes they get loud, all of them!!! [​IMG] Mostly when there is a dog outside the fence or a cat inside the fence. Sometimes it is when Cheeky the wild squirrel sneaks corn or sweet feed from their snack feeder. I have been woken up at the crack of dawn by a goose knocking on my door to remind me the feeder needs to be filled.

9. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I had Toulouse for 2 year's.I found them very nice.They were easily trained with a bit of work each day.I raised all of mine from gosling's and most as adult's were or could be hand fed and caught and held.Mine always went to their sleep area at night.All geese will get tempermental when laying or breeding age but Neither Hubby or I had any bad bite from one.If you mess with the egg's your gonna get nibbled lol.I think they are great personaly.

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have 6 Toulouse and 6 Embden - I find that the Embden are more feisty than the Toulouse - I would choose Toulouse any day - they are beautiful, great companions and are not as aggressive as Embdens!

Suzie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by