Toulouse with heavy limp in right leg

Discussion in 'Geese' started by catman88, Mar 22, 2013.

1. catman88

catman88 New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    I have a Toulouse goose with a bad limp in the right leg. It has been going on for two weeks and has steadily worsened. She can support herself on it and was in fact able to run when I caught her. The leg's joint appears to be warmer than the other suggesting minor inflammation?? She is on a steady feed and I am giving her 2 cc's B-complex by mouth daily and 200 IU's Vit-E daily. Is this a tendon or muscular problem? All suggestions are appreciated as I have little experience with geese and primarily raise chickens.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome, I'm not sure what the problem might be, and hope others chime in but I just wanted to say keep her in a space where she doens't have to walk around a lot, rest would be good right now. and maybe even some swim time to take the pressure off her leg and water therapy to strengthen the leg again. Sometimes with just rest things get back to normal. I hope thats the case with your goose. did you check her feet just make sure she hasn't cut herself or gotten something in it?.and if she is stressed by herself maybe another goose to keep her company.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. catman88

catman88 New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank you for responding! I have her in a horse stall with her bosum buddy. As for a cut or contusion of any type, there is no physical signs of damage. When she swims, I can't remember but one leg flailed above the surface. Maybe overcorrecting for the hurt leg?

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like your doing the right thing for her, keep her quite with her buddy and swim therapy and maybe add some vitamins to her water, can't hurt when they are fighting an issue. Please keep us posted, thanks.

5. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC! I can't say for sure on what it is going on with your goose but I can tell you about my goose who had a bad leg. She still does have it lame but its not causing her pain and she gets around pretty good. She was given to me last summer and had been limping for apparently about 2 or so weeks before I got her. She hadn't been able to use the one leg at all. I did a lot of searching of the net and everything matched up with a slipped or twisted tendon. Her knee joint on the bad leg was warm and it twisted out a bit away from her body. I kept her confined to let the leg rest. I also did very gentle stretching on the leg and a lot of massage on the leg and her body. The massage and stretching helped her and allowed her to heal some but she has never gotten true use of the leg back. She hops on her good leg to get around using her wings as well and uses the bad leg for balance. Mostly from what I have read a tendon issue must be fixed quick, and babies heal better from this then older birds. I had no way of getting my goose to a vet but if you can get yours to one that would be the best. Here is a link on poultry podiatry that has some good info on tendon issues if you scroll down. Just like Lydia said rest and swimming are the place to start.

6. catman88

catman88 New Egg

Mar 22, 2013
    Thank you both for your thoughts and advice. My goose is doing much better with just the B-complex and vit-e. I have my suspicions that her leg was a muscular issue from a Niacin deficiency. But anyway she continues to recover!!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So happy to hear this, wonderful news..

8. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Glad she is doing better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by