Toulouse?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by michael0641, Aug 9, 2009.

1. michael0641

michael0641 Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Sylacauga Alabama
    I'm pretty sure it is purebred but wanted to check. The other ones were sold as Africans but their beaks went from black to orange so I'm guessing mix between African and toulouse?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    They look mixed to me, I cant really tell if they are gray or brown from the pic. But seeing the "bump" on the ones head makes me think they are mixed, in pic #3.

3. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Songster

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Toulouse don't have knobs.. So they're probably not purebred. [​IMG] Also, the color seems a bit off.. Not grey.. More buff?

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The first one may be a Toulouse, do you notice the minor ruffle in his neck feathers? That is common to geese in the greyleg (sp?) line. geese from the swan goose line (china & africans) have smooth necks as well as the knob above the bill. As for color, I think the photos are overexposed to the point that you can't trust them for color,JMHO.

5. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Yeah, you have Toulouse in the mix, and the rest is either African or Chinese. The "knob" on the one and that darker streak down the back of the head and neck tell me there's "swan goose" (Africans and Chinese) genetics in there . . . and the one on the left has the ridged feather pattern on the neck, which is what Toulouse and other descendents of the Greylag goose have.

Either way they are lovely geese. Can any goose NOT be an incredible creature??? Nah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: