1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Town meeting Plymouth MA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by mugsymalone, Sep 13, 2016.

1. mugsymalone

mugsymalone New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    FYI.
    Tonight, 9/13/16 at 7:00PM there will be a town meeting in Plymouth MA to review a proposed bylaw not only restricting roosters, but also number of chickens and how to manage the chicken manure.
    This bylaw affect all of us chicken owners in Plymouth, so please attend and speak up.

2. karinm072

karinm072 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Brockton, MA
    How did this meeting go? Could you pass along any info to me on decisions / laws passed and proceedings? I'm in Brockton, MA and a meeting is scheduled for Tuesday at 4 pm in city hall regarding chicken laws & ordinances. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks, Karin

Here is a link to an article from The Brockton Enterprise from 9/28/16:

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/...ockton-board-crafting-farm-animal-regulations

3. mugsymalone

mugsymalone New Egg

Sep 13, 2016
    Hi Karin,
    No bylaws were passed to this date. Not dead in the water yet, though.
    Original proposal applies to properties of 2 acres or less only.
    They wanted to following:
    No more then 6 poultry per 1/4 acre, properties under 1/4 acre could have 4 poultry.
    No roosters
    manure to be kept in watertight/well ventilated concrete bin.

After the first board of selectman meeting, we formed a group to discuss these bylaws.
    Got the bylaw proposal changed to 12 poultry per 1/4 acre
    no roosters
    manure storage was gone

Neither bylaw passed the board of selectman.

Board of health is supposed to meet oct 12th, we are planning to attend this meeting.
    Goal is to come up with rules/regulations to address to issues that forced people to suggest a bylaw, and skip the bylaw all together.
    As in many towns, it seems that there's very few chicken owners in Plymouth who cause a problem, but we would all be penalized over these few.

So issues to be addressed are
    Incessant crowing of roosters, especially at night
    Smells from non-kept coops
    Rodents/vermin infestations
    And penalties that board of health can impose, including removal of poultry/roosters, monetary fines for repeat offenders.

Arguments that were used by chicken owners were:
    Sustainable flock, 6 chickens is just not enough
    Health benefits of these eggs vs store bought eggs
    Poultry is broad based. a bantam chicken vs ducks or geese
    Well kept coops don't smell
    Water tight/ventilated container increased the smells problem
    Well managed roosters/flocks don't crow that much
    Most stores don't even sell 6 chicks or less
    These chickens and roosters are pets to many

Heated arguments on both sides.
    I think everyone is in agreement a bylaw isn't necessarily bad. It just needs to be a good one.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know what Brockton is doing.

Sandy

4. Janice123456

Janice123456 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    brockton mass
    Hey I am Janice I am from Brockton also I just met Karen and we are going to be at the meeting on Tuesday together our plan is to try to get the Board of Health in Brockton 2 stop trying to pass any of these rules because they are not chicken friendly or owner friendly and that needs to be definitely more education and correct information before any rules are passed. It's too bad there is some poor chicken keeping going on with some people in Brockton that are ruining it for everybody and what they're doing is allowing chickens to run free and not taking care of them probably so people like Karen and I may be penalized and we are good Chicken Keepers

5. karinm072

Apr 7, 2015
    Brockton, MA
    Hi Sandy,
    I'm sorry to hear that this is still going on for you and fellow chicken keepers in Plymouth. Could you post or inbox me the time & location of your next meeting on October 12th? I would like to sit in, show support and listen to what is being discussed. I also have a niece in Plymouth who wants to get chickens and would like to pass this on to her as well.

Thanks so much,
    Karin

6. karinm072

Apr 7, 2015
    Brockton, MA
    Hi Sandy,
    How did your town meeting go on the 12th?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by