Town of babylon code 106-14

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by tink1422, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Yes If contained

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tink1422

tink1422 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2016
    106-14Keeping fowl near dwelling of other people.
    No person shall keep, maintain, house or possess any fowl on or in any building, yard or enclosure within the Town which shall be within 100 feet of the dwelling house or living quarters of any other person.

I was just served with a warning I’ve been raising my chickens for about 5 years now my fence line along a park way and i only have 2 neighbors sharing a fence with me I believe the complaint was made with mal intent as my close neighbors are as surprised as I am about this I’m looking to fight this but have no idea how to even start or if it’s worth it I’ve heard the town of babylon is brutal & not easy to go against has anyone else tried to fight an ordinance? Any information is greatly appreciated !

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2018
    Woodstock, Ontario
    100' of YOUR house? or does that just apply to neighbouring dwellings?
    Ours is 20 feet from owners house, 50 feet from others houses.

3. CuckooTheCrazyChicken

CuckooTheCrazyChicken Songster

Apr 9, 2019
    Well, as much as I totally think you should have chickens in Babylon, it's obviously against the rules. Eventually, unless they change the rule, you're going to have to stop keeping chickens.

And, 100 feet from your house? That's rough...

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse In the Brooder

Nov 8, 2018
    Woodstock, Ontario
    Looking at the name of the bylaw it seems to imply 100 feet just from neighbours dwellings.
    Do you have a spot on your property that is 100feet from anyone elses house?
    Maybe you can get permissions from those neighbouring dwellings?

CuckooTheCrazyChicken likes this.
  5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I read it as 100' from neighbors houses. So yes technically chickens are allowed (in response to your poll). I guess your actual issue is that you don't have a spot on your property that fits that requirement?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: