1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

townie chicken in disguise

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by delcardo, May 19, 2007.

1. delcardo

delcardo New Egg

May 19, 2007
    My daughter has always wanted a chicken but our town disallows poultry within city limits. Is there a breed we could get that could be mistaken for a pet bird? Our neighbors know nothing about chickens and think they are all noisy, messy crowers. I thought we could find some kind of hen that might not look too much like a chicken and could be a pet for a girl who lives in a townhouse with a small yard.
    Thanks for your advice.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can try a pair of silkie hens. Or... A female pair of seabrights or seramas... Girls wont crow, silkies look fuzzy, seabrights and seramas are smaller than macaws.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

How about Banty Cochin Frizzles?? They are small...and a few hens would be quiet.
    Here is my little one....she is a great hen!

[​IMG]

4. Weewanona

Weewanona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2007
    Wilburton, OK
    White Banty Polish. If they ask - tell em it's a Cockatiel [​IMG]

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    People sometimes think my d'uccles are another species. They sometimes ask "what's that thing?" They are small and different looking.

6. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I think most small Bantams would work. Old English games, Silkies, Seabrights, Japanese Bantams ect...[​IMG]

7. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    ya pretty much all banty hens would do the trick on the www.mypetchicken.com you can get 3 bantams and know one would even know [​IMG]

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Silkies are a good choice because the are sweet, cant fly, and no one seems to recognize them as chickens.

Another good choice would be a rumpless araucana bantam. They lay blue eggs, have no tail, a small pea comb, and often make calls that sound more like chuckers than chickens.

Definitely no roos, though, those will give you away.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by