Toxic chemicals?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mominoz, Mar 8, 2009.

  1. mominoz

    mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

    869
    22
    171
    Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Ok, I try not to use chemicals if I can find an alternative, but sometimes they are my last resort.
    SO, I have plants and fruit trees and stuff around the yard and I plan to let my futtute geese and runner ducks graze...
    I have fenced my garden off and fruit trees have a cage around them. But I do use mothballs around some plants to keep the deer from eating everything, I also sometimes use garlic, dried egg spray on stuff. Sometimes I use DE, and on rare occasions I dust the dog yard with flea dust.(Frontline didn't work last year and 2 of our dogs are allergic to fleas, had to change to Advantage)
    I also use a Fire Ant bait on mounds , which I am trying to get rid of before the geese , ducks are grown and out for grazing. Sometimes I use the FireAnt dust, that they track in the mound and it is supposed to kill them, it works fairly well too.
     
  2. Judy

    Judy Moderator Staff Member

    34,028
    452
    448
    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm in much the same place. You may be able to find something less toxic than mothballs for the deer if you research (have you tried bars of Irish Spring in pantyhose?) I have been using a mint spray to deter deer, and have not had a problem, but that may be because the deer have so much else to eat around here; I see deer tracks but no damage so far. I put the nasty stuff on my fire ant mounds as I fear they would come in the house if I did not; I get mounds all over the yard. My hens free range. They seem to stay away from the poisoned fire ant mounds; at any rate, I have not lost a chicken to any sort of poisoning as far as I know.

    It's not easy to find a balance. We do what we have to do.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by