Toxic plants for my buttons

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pen1124, Aug 7, 2011.

1. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    So im building my button quail pen now, its 8x5x6 with 1/2 inch mesh covering all sides, top, and underground. they have a small coop on the outside of the pen for shelter which they can get to at any time. I plan on keeping one pair in it with a grass bottom, a small (1.5'x1.5' round) pond, and a tree to perch in. I have two questions right now, do you think theyll eat the grass down to dirt, or will it be able to regenerate fast enough? The other question is about the tree, im thinking either a Japanese Dogwood, a butterflybush, or a magnolia bush. I really want the dogwood, but i cant seem to pinpoint an answer about if its toxic or not, some say it is, others say its not...If you guys could help me, itd be much appreciated [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
  3. pen1124

pen1124 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Long Island
    thank you so much, so what do you think about the grass?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I forgot to mention that button quail don't perch, so the tree would be more of a decoration...

grasses...a pair won't eat all the grass, in fact you may have to tend to it a bit so the buttons don't get caved in [​IMG] They will love to dust bathe in the dirt and get their worms and bugs. Do make sure you snake proof the pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by