Toxic Plants?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrott91, Jul 24, 2011.

1. mrott91

mrott91 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Hi I'm very new to raising chickens (started this spring 2011 with 8 baby chicks) and noticed my chickens love to eat ferns when I let them out to free range. They find quite a few as they are quite accessible because my house is surrounded by woods. My chickens eat them like candy. Searching the web for toxic plants to poultry, the fern is shown on the lists.

My chickens seem fine, but I also read that it takes time for them to die as organs are affected over time. Not a pleasant thought!!

Should I be worried??? Has any others had this problem? They are not producing eggs being only 3 months old. Should I also be worried once they do start producing that I could be poisoned/affected as well by eating the eggs?

Thank you in advance for any advice!!

2. WitksChicks

WitksChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Central CT
    Hi and [​IMG]

In response to your question regarding toxic plants, I did a search on "toxic plants" on this site, and was provided many links, most are threads on this site.

In one of those threads is this link: http://www.poultryhelp.com/toxicplants.html

Hope it helps, or is at least a starting point. I've been raising chickens for 3 years, and have been lucky to find all the info, advice and encouragement I need on this forum. What chicken raisers do before BYC, I'll never know.

Again [​IMG]

3. mrott91

mrott91 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks WitksChicks for the advice and welcome!!

I have actually seen this website during my search for toxic plants. I just don't know how to proceed unless I keep them from free ranging. They don't seem to be affectied even though the ferns are touted as poisonous and they love them like I love chocolate.[​IMG]

I just don't understand why they want to eat them!!

Thanks again!

4. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I've done some research. Check out my page below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by