Toxic? Tuftex Polycarb: methylene chloride and bisphenol A

BennieAnTheJets

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 4, 2016
Virginia, USA
So I wanted to find some clear (roofing, I guess) panels to put in front of run wire walls to shield the birds from winter winds - instead of stapeling on clear feed sacks I collected - to have something more permanent I could take down in summer and re-use next winter etc. and avoid my 2x4s being riddled with staples every year.

I found these great Tuftex corrugated poly carb panels, clear and strong enough to mount with some srews and wire, maybe, but they say not to store the stacked panel in direct sunlight (so they interact with the sunlight somehow, I take it) and that they contain toxic materials that could harm you, especially methylene chloride and bisphenol A.

So will these panels, when the sun hits them, emit this stuff and if I would surround my poor birds with that, would it harm or kill them????

Methylene chloride is highly volatile and there is zero chance any remains in the finished product.
BPA is only an issue when used to make drinking glasses or food storage containers that will come into contact with it with warm liquids which may leach trace quantities into the food. I don't know how much actual research was done on the dangers of this as BPA is very insoluble in water.
The sun hitting them just starts to break down the product making it very brittle and shortening it's serviceable life as a roof panel.
It is not toxic at all to you or the birds.

Methylene chloride is highly volatile and there is zero chance any remains in the finished product.
BPA is only an issue when used to make drinking glasses or food storage containers that will come into contact with it with warm liquids which may leach trace quantities into the food. I don't know how much actual research was done on the dangers of this as BPA is very insoluble in water.
The sun hitting them just starts to break down the product making it very brittle and shortening it's serviceable life as a roof panel.
It is not toxic at all to you or the birds.
Thanks, DobieLover!

I got the panels. One less worry in my life. Thank you!

TufTex is a good product. The UV resistance is pretty good but it will get brittle eventually (10+ years). You do not need to worry about off-gasing or toxicity. It is easy to handle and way cheaper than plywood these days.

I have been using these panels for my run during the winter for the past two years. A bit pricey (what isn't these days), but otherwise a fantastic product. It doesn't get brittle in our extreme below zero temperatures, which is a plus. I like to think that using them for the run walls in winter provides a little bit of a greenhouse effect....so slightly warmer than actual outside temperatures. It certainly allows for a lot of light which is also a plus.

If you tape off the ends it will create a dead air space that provides a lot of insulation. I just use the TufTex corrigated sheets because we don;t need the insulation; just something to keep the rain off while still allowing light. The birds will sometimes stretch out and sun bathe under it. I hope they still get their vitamin D after light goes through the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom