Toxoplasmosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrynneD1, Feb 1, 2015.

1. BrynneD1

BrynneD1 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Hello,

About a week and a half ago I noticed my Silkie hen had bubbles in her eye. Within 24 hours, her head had swollen tremendously on the side with the bubbly eye. I brought her inside and began giving her 400mg/gal of antibiotic (oxytetracycline). Within a few days, the swelling had reduced significantly as well as less eye bubbles. However, she has been on the meds for nearly 1.5 weeks now and I am not noticing any further progress in her recovery. She has a large swollen area above her eye which hasn't changed at all in the past 3 days. This is the only area of swelling that hasn't seen any improvement, and she still has mild eye bubbles. All this began when I noticed her in the nest straining to lay an egg, so I thought she was egg bound. I gave her a gentle warm epsom salt soak, and she let out a huge, really dry poop, and after that the straining stopped and the eye bubbles started. Having said all that, she is still perfectly spry and happy and active, still eating normally like her little piggy self, and bowel movements are still normal and regular. She does appear to have started to molt though. I don't understand why the remaining swelling and bubbles aren't getting better. Is there something else I should be doing?

[​IMG]

2. BrynneD1

BrynneD1 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Update:

Her head is still swollen just the same, and her eye is still bubbly. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks of 400mg/gal of tetracycline, and the head lump hasn't changed in almost a week. She is still active and acting completely normal, and she even laid an egg yesterday. She is getting as impatient being trapped in the bathtub as I am to get her back outside. In fact, she has figured out how to get out of the bathtub and runs around the bathroom. Above I mentioned that she appeared to have begun molting, but this only lasted for 2 days and then stopped. No diarrhea, no worms, healthy appetite, started laying again... only this stupid head lump that won't go away. Part of me really wants to lance it, although I know that would be a terrible idea. What to do??? Please someone offer some advice.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might have mycoplasma (MG) which is a chronic respiratory disease. E.coli can also occur as a secondary infection. Do you smell a bad odor around the face that can be a sign of coryza? The swelling is sinus infection, and there may be pus in there that needs to come out. Pus hardens into waxy plugs after a bit of time, and lancing it may be of help to get it out. I have read where it helps to squeeze also from inside the roof of the beak. Tylan 50 injectable may be a little stronger antibiotic to use, and can be given orally 1/4 ml twice a day given by mouth, or as a shot 1/4 ml daily for 3 days. Antibiotics may help symptoms, but will not cure MG, and the whole flock can become carriers, even if they don't have symptoms. Here is a good link to read about MG and another on all of the respiratory diseases:
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lasma_gallisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. BrynneD1

BrynneD1 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    I just checked, there is no bad smell and both her nostrils are totally clear. No sneezing or wheezing or anything. She doesn't appear to have a cold of any kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by