Toy Dog Dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Featherland, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I am thinking of purchasing a male Toy Poodle puppy and not neutering him. What kind of behavior can I expect around the house?

I currently have a female Toy Poodle. Could I have problems with him marking his territory in the house? Will he be more aggressive when grown?

If he has bad behaviors and I decide to fix him later will he keep these behaviors?

2. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Not every dog marks even with having an intact female around. I have 3 intact dogs in my house, 2 males and a female, and there is no marking or humping or aggression or any other negative behavior.

But yes he COULD do it. Any dog not well trained has the possibility of doing it, and even those that are well trained could still possibly do it. Even after being neutered there is still a possibility of retaining all of those behaviors. While an intact dog is more likely to mark a young neutered dog still may do it.

3. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    It depends on training for a lot of the behaviors. I picked up a 4 ish year old yorkie off the side of the road, intact, first few days was awful about going inside the house until he settled in. But he also had a poorly healed sternum from being most likely kicked and a phobia of basement steps - so he has issues above and beyond boy parts [​IMG] Any dog can pee in the house, any dog can want to run away - however I respectfully offer than the majority of hit by car dogs that aren't strays (well, even the ones that are really) are unneutered males. The urge to mate is strong.

If you feel like you may just neuter in the future, and are worried about marking and other behaviors, what are your reasons for thinking about not neutering? I'm just curious. [​IMG]

4. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Well, I would want to breed him once or twice with the female I already have. He is 4 months old now.

The one thing that bothers me is that the current owner says he is only paper trained. I have never paper trained a puppy.

I usually have them trained in about a week or 2 just by watching them constantly and picking them up to bring them outside

when they are not in their crate. Is it hard to train them to go outside when they have been paper trained?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Use the crate training method you have utilized in the past, and all should be good. Be careful about not leaving paper lying around the house or he will utilize it.

6. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Some people think that paper training is bad, it lets the dog think its ok to go in the house. Some people feel like well, if they are going to go in the house at least its confined to one area. Personally, I feel like its more work than just training them to go outside, but I also have had large breed dogs and there isn't enough paper in the world to convince me to let a 100 lb dog pee in my house [​IMG]

If he is resistant to going outside, sometimes bringing the familiar paper outside (especially a used piece to get the scent outside) will help. Praise, a special treat that's only for that occasion if need be and usually they will figure it out. If you've housebroken puppies in the past, then you know to not expect miracles like a puppy holding it for 9 hours at a time. As long as you have reasonable expectations, and he's not overly stubborn, you should be fine.

7. Morgan's_Silkie_Parade

Morgan's_Silkie_Parade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Lol well i have a Min Pin who was neutered at 4 years old and STILL marks in the house at 11 years old, i have tried EVERYthing to get him to stop. He now wears a diaper, but that is just a pain in the butt to work with.
    also i had a Min Pin that was paper trained when i got him at 2 years old, NEVER again am i getting a puppy/dog who is paper trained. he would CONSTIANTLY go OFF the paper, whether he just walked off while goinng or he found a piece that blew off the table. It was a PAIN. and i tried to train him to go outside by moving the paper closer and closer to the door and eventually outside. but he just resorted to inside again. never again as i said.
    My next lil one will be a female that i will house break to go Outside.
    ( I too am lookin for a lil one, just trying to decide if i want a Min Pin again or try something new)

8. Featherland

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Well I think I will find a different puppy. I really don't want a paper problem! [​IMG]

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Honestly at 4 months old, it shouldn't be too hard to train him to go outside instead of using the paper method.

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    You could specify in the purchase contract that if you cannot train the puppy to go outside, you can bring him back and get a full refund.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by