Toys for an outdoor rabbit?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farming Frenzy, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    We will be getting 2 new baby rabbits next week! Both girls. [​IMG]

We have a large empty aviary with 1/4 grass and 3/4 concrete. One wall is wooden and the rest is small but thick wire mesh (we had parrots in there). The cage isn't fully setup as I need some ideas for toys. I am thinking of putting shelves on the part wooden wall that is in the aviary. Also- when it rains the floor gets wet and only drains away after a few hours. I was thinking of putting some to sit on and 4 concrete blocks with wooden planks on to form a platform. There will be shelter though - maybe a sort of diagonal wall leaning onto the other wall to make a sort of tent for them. Good shelter?

They will get PVC pipes to play in and hay-filled toilet rolls, but does anyone have any fun toys I could make for them? Please note the aviary is outdoors. Here in NZ it can get a bit cold but not freezing, so they will also have 1-2 nest boxes/ wooden shelters to sleep or hide in cold weathers.
    I also had another question-
    later on, when the bunnies are older, I am planning on breeding one of them. This is not a big project, I was planning on having only 1 or 2 litters. We have a separate aviary for the boy. Since it gets cold (but like I said before not freezing) do you guys think these types of nesting boxes are suitable? -
    [​IMG]

It seems everyone uses them, but they look a bit "open" to me. I'm scared the kits might get cold if it gets a bit windy or starts raining. My idea was to build a kind of wooden box, with a large hole on one side for the mum to enter and an opening latch lid. If anyone has any other ideas or feedback about different types of nesting boxes, that would be very helpful. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. chiklee

chiklee Chillin' With My Peeps

I use wooden home made boxes with the hole but make sure the kits cant get out 4 '' above the surface and I put latched lids on them. Easy and warm for them
    also I use 5 gallon buckets cut the lid in half. drill holes in the bottom for drainage wire the bucket to the cages. plastic is warm and cleaner than wooden boxes too. This was my best Idea for nest boxes and winter houses .

3. Farming Frenzy

Farming Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    Kerikeri New Zealand
    Thanks everyone I have cage set up. Put a large rectangle hay bale on one side of cage with concrete blocks underneath so it wouldn't get wet. There is one wooden box with an opening lid (has concrete block under it too) and a wooden nesting box like the one I posted in the 1st post. I changed it a little so it would be warmer. There are some toys and bits and pieces everywhere. Also 2 long planks that make a shelf just above the hay bale so the bunnies can climb onto that too.
    getting bunnies in 1-2 days! soo happy :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by