1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toys for chickens???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eeiko321, Jan 17, 2009.

1. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    hi guys, Ive only got 2 hens and a coop + run area.
    it isn't the largest area ...and i know that chickens love to explore.

i am hardly home & my house doesn't have many fences, so i have to keep them in there pretty much 95% of the day.

i hear chickens can be very miserable if confined.

Ive never seen or heard of any TOYS for chickens....to keep them occupied.
    i know they aren't as sophisticated as a cat or dog...can anyone think of any or experienced with any?

thanks heaps.

2. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Scatter feed, and or give them scraps as well as watermelon and such, exept avacado and chocolate.

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    people talk about hanging things like apples and watermelon to keep them entertained. I've also noticed that my girls like it when they have to hunt for the scratch in hay/straw vs. it just being on solid ground.

you can also give them varying levels to hop around on in the confined space. like put a 1/2 barrel in there or a hay bale.

if they aren't acting cranky or picking at each other, I'm sure they are probably fine. How big is the space you have for the two of them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by