Toys For Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SproutGirl, May 7, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if chickens like to play with anything? I have been looking at bird toys for large parrots lately and wondering if I should get some for my birds to hang inside their home which is an out building of about 25 square feet. I was wondering if they might like a swing and some fun things to peck at, but I know they are not quite as playful as parrots are. I don't want them to get bored, and I want them to have a happy life. I did hang a little silver bell inside their brooder when they were tiny, and one of them liked to peck at it. I have 4 Araucanas and 2 Rhode Island reds, all of whom are 7 and 1/2 weeks old. What do you think? Chicken toys? Thanks for your help! [​IMG]

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk likes elastic bands and a stretchy lizard. Also newspaper. She also likes ShredaBoxes for parakeets.

3. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Good idea. I knitted mine a sweater and never thought about toys...I'll have to make some.

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    When I went to our local feed store the chicks were playing with a cat toy (small fury mouse that cost about .50) I have since found one of my cats (she likes to hide them and forget about it) and gave it to my 7 week old hens. The love it. One hen will grab it by the tail and run and the others will chase. It is a hoot to watch and they seem to enjoy it. They even take turns with it.

Vamp A Billy - post a picture of the sweater. I would love to see one.

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    my son threw in a little piece of bark and one picked it up like the PP and they all chased the one who had it.. it was very funny

I too have been wondering about toys.. to keep them occupied.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  7. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    I got my chicks a bird toy with a bell and mirror today and all I keep hearing is a bell ringing! LOL

8. mooman

mooman Dirty Egg Eater

Apr 9, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I have a chain with a blunt metel hook on it that hangs about a foot above the chickens head. I usually hang apples that are past their prime on it, but you could probably hang any expired produce. I don't think chickens "play" like some of the more inteligent members of their family (ie parrots). They are stomachs with feathers. EAT...EAT... EAT... POOP... repeat

9. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    LOL I've never thought of that. But, it may drive my one hen crazy. I had a bowl with little tomatoes painted on it outside for the dogs water and the hen sat there and pecked at the painted tomatoes for over an hour before I went out and changed the water bowl to a plain white crock. Guess I'll have to watch my tomato plants carefully. LOL My ducklings were playing with a piece of wood bark they found in the yard though so maybe some poultry do like toys.

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeppers, chickens are kids too! As a suggestion on another question on BYC, I gave my girls 2 huge loads of dry Oak leaves in their pen. Each morning I toss a handful of cracked corn, peelings and apple chunks. The leaves have been worked over enough to see the girls don't have a bore of a day. I also placed a old table umbrella for a bit of shade in the earlier parts of the day.
    Active chickens are healthier, happier (my opinion) and take less time to pick at each other.
    Oh, and people that see my umbrella are quite in shock- LOL, I love it !!! And these same people go directly for the chicken pen to talk to them! HAVE A WONDERFUL dAY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by