1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

toys for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greytmommy, Mar 30, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    I read about using some common bird toys for chicks. Since it might be a few days before I can get to the store, any suggestions of good toys for them that I might have laying around the house? I have a mirror, so I can put that in there. Anything else I can do? I feel bad I cant hold them more during the day, but I run a small inhome daycare, so I have kiddos to deal w/ all day long!

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Well I have a thermometer in my brooder and they wont leave it alone! We place the thermometer leaning on the side of our brooder and then all the chicks gather around it and peck at it. They do this until the thermometer falls down! It is so cute! Then after it falls they all stand on it! [​IMG]

3. Marylizbet

Marylizbet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    My chicky's love a box. I cut out the ends, and they go in it, and on it, and sleep with their heads hanging off it. At first I had this styrofoam "bridge" but they started eating it... There's way more suggestions on BYC for toys, go look it up. : )

4. Chickeninthemeadow

Chickeninthemeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    A 'hiding' place away from the lamp to me seems like a good idea, I'll probably take an extra shoebox I have laying around and cut it up so they can get into it or stand on top of it. I may try taking several lids from like soda/water bottles and milk jugs and string them up too. Once again, I'd keep most toys away from the heat source though as I'd worry about the toy getting too hot and hurting one of the babes. If they are exceptionally small chicks, then perhaps a toilet paper tube (but they'll outgrow it quick). Perhaps even make some toys from PVC pipe from your local hardware store will be good too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by