toys for chicks?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
Kind of an odd question, I'm sure, but I was just thinking that almost every baby animal I've ever had has had some sort of "toy" to play with. Do chicks ever play with things? Or do they just amuse themselves with their brothers & sisters?

i put branches in the brooder to let them practice being big kids. they start to perch around day 2 or so. i make them low so they don't hurt themselves. i also put grass and dirt in and sprinkle meal worms so they can "find" them. they love it

I have seen people attach a feather duster to the side of the brooder so they have somewhere to "hide". I don't know about many toys though. Chickens are extremely food motivated, and there are some places that sell "BabyCake" which is like a flock block that is softer for chicks. Just make sure if you give them anything other than chicken feed, that you also give them some chick grit too.

Here's a link to BabyCake:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/BabyCake-Supplement-p844.aspx

I don't know about playing with them, but I put a large-ish, round, stuffed cardinal plush toy in with them on day one, and they love it. They sleep on it and cuddle up to it.

They are now 4 weeks old, and it is, not surprisingly, encrusted with dried poop. It will not be making the move to the new coop, but I will thank it for its service as I toss it in the bin...

Chickens are extremely food motivated, and there are some places that sell "BabyCake" which is like a flock block that is softer for chicks.

My guys LOVED BabyCake, and I was told they didn't need grit for it. But I had them on sand litter, so...​

Posted about this before..someone else mentioned it and it works great...those disposable aluminum bread pans..the thin ones. They roost, climb, tap, peck, stare at it..it is hysterical to watch.

Quote:
we bought ours a flock block and they just wanted to roost on it (they r 4, 5, & 6 weeks old). So we bought a baby cake and hung it up. They were scared of it at first cuz it would move when they pecked it!
D.gif
D.gif
But they eventually realized it was a treat and they love to peck at it now. I'm gonna reintroduce the flock block and see if they "get it" now.
ya.gif

I put a stuffed duck in with mine the first week I brought them home and they slept on it. I also bought them a parrot ladder, but they don't like it. I like the idea of putting grass and worms in their brooder box....

I am new to the whole chicken wrangling experience but today I picked up a couple of dandelions from the yard and threw them in the brooder. The were scared of them at first and hid in the corner then went about eating their food and ignoring it. After dinner, they were playing keep away with the dandelions. one would grab it and run and scream as the others chased him around, one would steal it and the process repeats itself.

Crickets. My 6 (3 RIR and 3 BR) love crickets and superworms. Today was the first time we offered crickets and they loved them. And if you're looking for play time I'd have to say my girls were having chicken fun.
yippiechickie.gif
:cd

As for the crickets...not so much.

I have also taken my girls out for a "field trip". At first they would not get out of the pet carrier, then they all climbed on me as I sat on the grass but within a couple minutes they were pecking and eating grass. Then I couldn't get them back INTO the pet carrier to bring them home!! I would look more for what stimulates their "chickenness" than toys per se. What I mean is that I look for things that they might learn by watching their Mama; seeing as for all intents and purposes I am their mama...wierd, a guy mama. does that make my wife the papa?
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom