Toys for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 3GChicks, Jan 29, 2012.

1. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    So I am looking for any suggestions for something to keep my chicks entertained. I have three silkies in their temporary Rubbermaid home but I think they are getting bored. They are almost 8 weeks old and I try to take them out for a while every day so they can get some exercise, but I still think they are bored.

Can anyone suggest anything, I do not want them to start picking at one another.

Thank you!

2. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    lol only thing i can add is put some live mealworms in that should add some entertainment to their lifes

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I go nuts with the "playground equipment"! I give them blocks of wood to climb on. I give them a 2" x 2" perch to teach them to roost. I add a small tub of sand so they can dirt bathe.

I hang an apple from a string and they play "tether ball" with it while eating it. (Screw a two-inch eye-screw into the apple to hang it from a stick placed over the top of your brooder.)

They get a fresh lettuce leave from time to time, as well as wiggly earth worms.

Never a bored chick in my brooder.

Emma B, RubyNala97, DABAMA and 2 others like this.
  4. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    How should I entertain my week old chicks? They still spend a lot of time sleeping, but when they are awake, they get really active and are starting to figure out how their wings work. ;) I think I might make a mini-perch for them soon.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    I know it sounds silly, but at 1 week I add a couple of those little cat ball toys with a bell inside. If one of them figures it out, they all will play with it. My first two hatches didn't use them at all. But my last hatch...they went nuts for it. Constantly picking them up and kicking them around. Was hilarious to watch.

1 person likes this.
  6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, for really bang-up, awesome entertainment, for both you and the chicks (seriously, this is super fun to watch) give week-olds a few squares of toilet paper to shred.

Yeah, yeah, they'll eat some of it, but it won't hurt them. Trust me. It's hilarious.

7. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I was thinking of trying the same thing![​IMG]

8. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    I've been reading through all the old threads about this. There are tons of ideas. If you search "chick toys" you'll get a lot of threads to go through.
    One of the most popular items to give your chicks seemed to be a mirror. But go check out those other threads, lots of good advice!

9. ziL

ziL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Oswego County, NY
    Today they decided to shred some of their newspaper bedding, and were chasing each other around trying to get it, the way the adults go after treats! I can only imagine them with a cat toy, but I'm afraid that my cat will want to play with them more. I have one bantam frizzle cochin with 9 standard mixes (Brahma/RIR) and that bantam has enough personality for all of them. He could probably scare the cat and keep the toys to himself if he felt like it. :rolleyes: His parents are characters too, first then hen hated me and the rooster was just loud, but now he hates me and she acts fine! I just can't win with these bantams. ;)

10. Am056638

Am056638 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Oregon
    wow that sounds like an awesome playground. How old do chicks have to be to do this fun stuff??

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by