1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toys for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sonja1018, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Sonja1018

Sonja1018 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Texas
    I have a week old duckling and was wondering what people offer their ducks to enrich their environment.
    So far Qwackerjacks seems to like cat ball with bell inside and a couple other little kitty toys (pilfered from the cats' toybox). I've thought about a big hanging toy like ones for parrots too.

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I got a parrot toy that had a mirror on all sides. I hung it from the brooder and they loved it. Also they like a stuffed animal to cuddle with.

3. Elaine Hope

Elaine Hope Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    with your supervision, let them swim and/or play in some water. a paint roller tray works well. but don't give them too much water, if they learn to swim now they will love water for the rest of there life. good luck! (I want a picture [​IMG])

4. Sonja1018

Jul 30, 2014
    Texas
    Qwackerjack's daily bath.

[VIDEO]

DanJ702 likes this.
  5. Sonja1018

Jul 30, 2014
    Texas
    He loves to play in his bath. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Elaine Hope

Elaine Hope Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    that is adorable! [​IMG]
    thank you!!

7. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    He is being the perfect little drake! My Pekin, who is full grown (gargantuan) still does exactly the same moves in water--and more. Quackerjacks accomplishes several things when "playing:" of course he gets pleasure from the sensation of the water. Also, he cleans himself. And the head bobbing movement builds muscle in his neck. By now he muct have started to flap his little arms, yes? When he gets full grown, that can be an impressive sight.
    Keep up the good work.

8. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    That video...I am dying of cute here!! ^-^ (Is it sped up a little, or is he really moving that fast? lol)

My little Cayuga loves toilet paper rolls! She flings them around, puts her head inside to explore, and rolls it back and forth to me along the floor. Too cute, and I'm all for cheap toys. ;)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  9. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Mine loves 'em too but she has a bad habit of getting herself stuck in them! [​IMG]

10. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    What will they do with the parrot?? Will they like lay on it and stuff?? I think it would get all dirty and stuff

11. Sonja1018

Jul 30, 2014
    Texas
    I did get him a hanging toy with a bell and hung it from top of his new cage. At just 10 days old he's already outgrown the 20gal aquarium/brooder. But he panics at night when he can't see me so he still spends the night in the aquarium on my night stand. [​IMG]

He's also outgrown the bowl in the above video [​IMG] so I got him one of those plastic dishpans from the dollar store. He really likes it for his daily bath but there's no room for him to swim around or dive (he's growing SO fast!) sooooo.... I introduced him to the bath tub. LOL. He had a lot of fun splashing around and trying to "swim". I had the water just deep enough for his little feet to reach the bottom in case he tired. I was cracking up because he'd stand on one foot kinda tippy toe and move his other like he was swimming, then seemed a bit confused why he wasn't moving. [​IMG]. I have a video of his silliness but still need to trim it down from almost 7 minute!

He does like knocking around the hanging toy with bell and also enjoys a tiny (2 inches tall) plushy cat toy. He takes the plushy to his house and uses it for a pillow or swings it by the arms/legs. When I'm on here a bit longer and can post pics, I'll add video/photos of Quackers and his toys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by