Toys for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mystry, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mystry

mystry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2014
    Any ideas on toys for ducks? I have muscovies. My son has thought about getting some minnows from the bait store and putting them in the pool. Will they go after them or will I have just made a big fish tank? We sometimes have small frogs or toads and they don't seem interested in those, but they do eat grasshoppers and other bugs.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Some people get feeder fish and put them in the pool for their ducks to chase and eat, I have never done that with my Muscovy's.Mine do eat frogs if they catch one and worms and small snakes when it's warm weather. They also have a pool to play in other than that they just seem to enjoy each others company, I have hung out cabbage heads for mine to play with they love chewing and pulling on it till it's all gone.

3. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    We had a lone duckling once that we used to give him minnows in a tray and he loved them

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    My duck LOVES minnows! watching him chase them around always makes me smile. They also like crinkly toys, like those cat toys you find that's just balled-up cellophane? I forget what they're called, but they're always a hit. Just be sure to avoid pink-colored ones, I discovered the dye on those come off in water which I wouldn't want my bird swallowing. The other colors I've gotten seem to be fine, though.

I also use a laser pointer. He'll chase it around like a cat, it's hilarious!

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks seem to love to eat their eggs that they lay in the water...
    They also steal cans and such from the garbage, and anything else that makes cool noises and floats. It is so funny to watch them try to steal them all sneaky-like.

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    My ducks favorite foods are probably Turnips, Cabbage, and Whole corn on the cob.

7. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I put minnows in my ducks' pool. I bought them from for PetSmart for 17¢ each. When they were ducklings I filled the bath dumped in maybe like 20 minnows and let my 6 ducklings chase after them in the water, it is cute to watch too!

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It sure is! <3

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Thats cute, but when my ducklings chased them, they couldn't walk because they didn't touch the bottom. So it was adorable watching them dive and dunk the heads trying to get the minnows. They did eat all 20 of the minnows though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by