toys for the chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sydney13, May 24, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    does any one have any ideas of things to put in the brooder the chicks to have fun with? i put in some roosts and they love to jump on and push each other off [​IMG] i also put a mirror in and they like that too. any other suggestions?

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I put small boxes in - they love jumping on them, and running in & out of them.

I also have a dog crate panel covering my brooder - I hang a piece of string down into the brooder, just 1-2" above their heads, but make sure to tie it firmly. They love jumping up at the string, and I have some adults that now will jump up to take a treat from my hand.

I've also put in a pice of small wood...like a small log to burn in your fireplace. But, make sure there aren't any loose bark pieces on it, first. They quickly learn how to "sharpen" their beaks on it, and they love jumping on & off of it.

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

The most entertaining thing I gave mine was a clump of grass I pulled up while making the garden- complete with worms and dirt! They were afraid of it for about 2 minutes... then they practically devoured the whole thing while playing king of the mountain. I considered it free-ranging practice.

4. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    I dug up some dirt with grass in it & put it in an aluminum pan & put it in their brooder. They have a ball with it. I also throw in a couple of dried mealworms for them to "forage".

Yes, its great free range practice!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by