Toys for the hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoArmy, Nov 27, 2011.

1. GoArmy

GoArmy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    My wife is worried that the hens are getting bored out there, now that it's cold and their bug friends are gone. She thinks the hens need toys. I said "Yes, dear."

What the heck do I give them for toys???? I have a cowbell I could hang in there for them to peck, but I think that might get real old after not too long. I saw something called a Chicken Fun Toy that's like a yellow rubber ball you can stuff treats into. Any other ideas?

3 hens. Small run (3' x 3' x 8') with a 3' x 3' x 3' coop on top. They are really pretty happy, the boss is just worried they'll get bored (and turn into juvenile delinquents, take up smoking, maybe steal bikes, I don't know).

Thanks!

2. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    Ant farm?

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Quote:

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I read on one of these posts, put a box of live crickets loose in the coop.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Tether Cabbage!!
    [​IMG]

The hens will jump to pull bits off the cabbage.

In that photo, my dominant roo, Carl, pulls bits off and drops them for the hens. (He's such a gentleman!)

6. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    We've worked on that quite a bit for our 3 girls. We have outdoor perches, a "grass-box" (wire mesh several inches off the ground, plant grass under it, they can only peck off the tall bits) if it's not too cold where you are, put table scraps in a hanging plant basket for them to peck at, and we are going to put in a formal "dustbath area" (although of course they have their special place for it already). More than that, what adds spice to our girls' lives is periodic table scraps and scratch in the run, plus occasional free-range time. These measures go a long way towards keeping them from taking their boredom out on each other, especially in the winter. Good luck!

7. GoArmy

GoArmy Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Tether cabbage is awesome :) I think they'll get one tomorrow!

8. the-bird-man

the-bird-man Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    land of the sun
    i have straw bales in my run, the girls love to jump on them and scratch at them trying to get any bits of wheat that are in them

9. donna8424

donna8424 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Florida
    I washed out a couple of two liter bottles cut some small holes around it , add a hand full of scratch or boss put lid back on and watch the fun. I only had to show them one time on what comes out of the holes. You should see them kicking that bottle around, it is so funny [​IMG]

10. joneus

joneus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Ballston Spa
    My girls have a small dog toy with a network of holes that I stuff treats into and toss into the run. I call it "chicken soccer" because they kick it around and steal it from each other!

They've also got an old bird cage hanging in there that holds 2 heads of cabbage nicely to give them something to do when they cant free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by