1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toys

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DonaldG, Nov 30, 2015.

1. DonaldG

DonaldG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    What can I put in the coop for the girls to play with so they do not get bored?

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Nutty Pigeons Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Some people hang a head of lettuce in the coop for them to pick at, in the winter I put hay or leaves in the coop and spread scratch grains in it, this keeps them occupied for a long time scratching for snacks.

3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The single most popular source of chicken entertainment in my flock is a scratch block. It is easily found in most feed stores, is inexpensive and lasts for months. Chickens never get bored with it, and they spend hours pecking away at it, slowly liberating the seeds in it. It's also one of the best insurances against feather picking.

1 person likes this.
  4. DonaldG

Feb 17, 2015
    This I like. Now if I can only find one around where we live.

5. DonaldG

Feb 17, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Girls are playing king of the castle on my truck and helping the wife in the garden!
    Made my own flock block for them and they love it. Hang one in the coop every couple of days about hour or so before the light goes out at night. Starting to get cold now, about -17C last nite. Interesting to see if we have enuf ventilation for them. Am using a heated pet bowl for the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by