1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toys

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken gal, Nov 10, 2012.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    I really need help finding some good toys for my chickens. I know and I think everybody knows the best way to your chicken's heart is food. But I just do have a good idea.[​IMG]

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Chickens don't really 'play' in the traditional sense, the way a cat or dog would. Like you said, food is the way to their heart. I sometimes hang a head of lettuce from the coop rafters for them to peck at.
    Also, making sure they have a good dust bathing area will also make them very happy. [​IMG]

3. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    I give them leftover fruit.

4. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

You can accomplish the 'food as play' and have a blast watching them if you put a whole pumpkin
    or watermelon in their run area. I usually poke a couple of 'startup' holes in them just to help them 'get started' but they probably wouldn't need it. Within several hours my mixed heritage flock of 40 pullets and roosters makes a whole watermelon or pumpkin disappear - totally - stem and all!

I also grow lots of old-timey marigolds around my garden areas to keep bugs away and I'll often
    pull up large clumps of them when in full flower and put them in the hanging basket for the birds
    to eat on them - the flowers make their egg yolks extra orange colored too. Also put whole
    cabbages and turnip greens, etc. in the hanging feeder basket and they 'play' and have fun all
    day long - nutritious eating for them as well.

5. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    You all should read the Fresh Eggs Daily blog she has written a lot of good treat recipes and some food toy ideas.

6. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    How much land do you have? Do you free range them? Sense you have forty and I only have six and 2 acres I'm just wondering how much land do you have?

7. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    TOYS!!!!!! [​IMG] You do realize there chickens right????

8. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Some people have chickens purely as pets and enjoy spoiling them!!!!! plus it's fun to watch them[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. DaphneNL

DaphneNL Chillin' With My Peeps

At a pet store close by you can buy a feeder ball for chickens. You fill the ball with some grain and your chickens need to roll the thing around to get the food out.

10. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Oh yeah, I have one of those I just forgot about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by