Toys

chicken gal

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
I really need help finding some good toys for my chickens. I know and I think everybody knows the best way to your chicken's heart is food. But I just do have a good idea.
idunno.gif

Chickens don't really 'play' in the traditional sense, the way a cat or dog would. Like you said, food is the way to their heart. I sometimes hang a head of lettuce from the coop rafters for them to peck at.
Also, making sure they have a good dust bathing area will also make them very happy.
lol.png

You can accomplish the 'food as play' and have a blast watching them if you put a whole pumpkin
or watermelon in their run area. I usually poke a couple of 'startup' holes in them just to help them 'get started' but they probably wouldn't need it. Within several hours my mixed heritage flock of 40 pullets and roosters makes a whole watermelon or pumpkin disappear - totally - stem and all!

I also grow lots of old-timey marigolds around my garden areas to keep bugs away and I'll often
pull up large clumps of them when in full flower and put them in the hanging basket for the birds
to eat on them - the flowers make their egg yolks extra orange colored too. Also put whole
cabbages and turnip greens, etc. in the hanging feeder basket and they 'play' and have fun all
day long - nutritious eating for them as well.

You can accomplish the 'food as play' and have a blast watching them if you put a whole pumpkin
or watermelon in their run area. I usually poke a couple of 'startup' holes in them just to help them 'get started' but they probably wouldn't need it. Within several hours my mixed heritage flock of 40 pullets and roosters makes a whole watermelon or pumpkin disappear - totally - stem and all!

I also grow lots of old-timey marigolds around my garden areas to keep bugs away and I'll often
pull up large clumps of them when in full flower and put them in the hanging basket for the birds
to eat on them - the flowers make their egg yolks extra orange colored too. Also put whole
cabbages and turnip greens, etc. in the hanging feeder basket and they 'play' and have fun all
day long - nutritious eating for them as well.
How much land do you have? Do you free range them? Sense you have forty and I only have six and 2 acres I'm just wondering how much land do you have?

Back
Top Bottom