tracing genealogy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pokey, May 15, 2010.

1. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    how can you locate a professional business in your area to trace your genealogy? i know about the places online, but i would prefer to locate someone local , because i am adopted. i know who my parents are, but there are cicumstances that would need explanation and i don't think that would work online.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have no idea but you can trace them if you know your parents lived or born at. The court houses are a good start.

3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Quote:do you mean tracing online or the actual courthouse? they both live in a different state than me.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    May or maynot help but.... for my maiden name there's a facebook page, and a guy in England who's worked on the family tree for 20 years. We have a somewhat uh.... tangled family tree (the sisters married brothers from a different family making for alot of kids in 20 years with the last name in the same town). We straightened out my grandmother's generation via email and now everyone's where they should be.

5. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    You could hire an investigator that lives either in your state or theirs.

If you know what town they are in you could go to their town/county hall and try to find some records that way and cross reference it with church records (marriage/baptism cert) or periodical or online references (birth and marriage announcements, obituaries).

Hope that helped a little. Good luck.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Many court houses would have a small fee to access to their files and send you a copy. That would be the best route to take. Give them a call and see what they can help you and they will send you some forms to fill out and you can do the rest.

Sometimes onlines do help.

Do you have a genealogy center in your hometown or the closest big town? They can also help with you researching your family trees.

7. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    Quote:if we do have a genealogy center i can't find it.if i call the courthouse what exactly am i asking for?

8. rnoyster

rnoyster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Conway, South Carolina
    Most states and many counties have a genealogy society. It isn't part of the government, they are usually privately funded and require that you pay a small dues payment to join them. They also have many members that will trace you family tree for a price, but be prepared..... the price tag is usually quite a hefty sum per hour! If you join their society, many have bulletin boards where you can post queries regarding information for a specific family name, etc for free. If you post a query, there is a good chance that one of the other members may have some information regarding the name that you have asked about and will share it with you for free. I have been doing family tree research for nearly 20 years and belong to three different societies in different parts of the country. My family research goes back to the mid 1600's and contains nearly 35,000 names alone. Much of which was gathered from other individuals that I have met during this time. Good Luck!

9. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Try ancestry.com. They have an option to hire geneology detectives, or whatever they are called, lol. My mom has an account and while we have not yet used one of those detectives, it is in our possible plans for the future.

10. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Quote:Ancestry.com rocks. My mom has been researching our lines for about 3 or 4 years now and has also recently submitted a DNA test to verify her findings. She has also contacted researchers there to verify some of the things she has found. Very helpful resource. Highly recommended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by