Track or mark on coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by szczur, May 16, 2016.

1. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Anybody know what caused this mudprint?? Orangutan? The bolt on top is 4 inches wide. Maybe it was the neighbor's kid, he is a little hyper about my chickens. No other prints but misc scratching on the bottom from critters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your location would help.

3. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Let's, for the moment, suspect it might be the neighbor's kid? Do you suppose he walked over on his hands through the mud?

4. szczur

szczur Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania

I'm cracking jokes! The beast didn't get in...so I'm happy I didn't lose my chickens. I...kind of doubt a human would twist his thumb in such a way trying to open the coop, but I wouldn't put it past him to have muddy hands and jump up trying to get at the latch...he is 6 and makes mud pies...etc. The coop is on 2 1/2 ft legs and the latch for the human door is in the middle so something jumped up and climbed on it.

Edited to add: Although if anyone knows what this print is, I'd appreciate your advice. I'll look up that predator and see what else I can do to deter it, since obviously it is after my chickens now and knows where they sleep.

Last edited: May 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by