Tracking Your Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 123ChickieLou, Dec 13, 2011.

1. 123ChickieLou

123ChickieLou Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Does anyone keep written records of their flock? I'm thinking about setting up some spreadsheets to track cost, egg procuction, feed, etc.... I'm a speadsheet whiz and junkie, so that'd be my prefered method. I track everything that way.

Does anyone else do it this way? How do you do it? What do you track? Any tips?

I'm thinking about banding but I don't want anything too fancy or expensive. Can I do it with twist ties and adjust it as they get bigger?

TIA!!

calling all OT's [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yes, you should absolutely measure your flock.....just as part of good management.

If you go online to Eggzy.net you can get some ideas. Also data entered in eggzy can be downloaded into your spreadsheet.

someone here on byc has/had a spreadsheet that they share(d)--- you may do a search on flock spreadsheet to find the link.

Some of the things on eggzy are epw (eggs per week) cpe (cost per egg) cpd (cost per dozen) eggs in the last 30-days, -- check it out.

3. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Thanks Chic! I'll check it out.

4. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    Checked it and LOVE it!

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Just goes to show you how great the forum is. :O)

6. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We started keeping records of our flock several years ago when we were required to inventory them by the State, b/c we were dealing with ILT virus
    and were under quarantine. Have done it ever since. I keep track of breed & sex, age, and parentage basically, as well as a short health record.

7. 123ChickieLou

Nov 14, 2011
    Louisiana
    chickenmania, I like the idea of keeping the individual records as well. Question though, I just brought home 4 chicks from the feedstore, one RIR, one Ameraucana, and two GSL's. (golden sex links) When I got them home I looked up the breeds the lady said they are and none of them look like what she said they are, like she got the names mixed up. One of the ones she said is a GSL looks more like an Ameraucanas with the beards and cheek fluff. You get the idea..... how would you go about naming these breeds? Should I just go with what the feedstore lady said (she named them with confidence too) or should I call them what they look more like to me? Looks like they're really just mutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by