Tractor building question

I'd say atleast 24" tall... I've seen some pretty cool PVC runs covered with aviary netting and the back half with a tarp also that seem to work really well! But I'm not expert...

BUMP for an educated answer!
thumbsup.gif

We have a PVC tractor and tarp like mentioned above though ours was covered in hardware cloth to keep the dogs out. It is 4x8 is for running a dozen or less in our backyard at home (we keep a low density in that tractor to save wear and tear on our lawn). We also have some salatin-style tractors made of wood that we keep up to 60 birds in. Those are 10x10. Both types are 2ft tall. I don't have any pictures of the big tractors, but here is one of the PVC tractor (the white flags are simply to let the dogs know that they can't go close):

DSCN2833.jpg

DSCN2834.jpg

Last edited:
I agree... 24" is a good height.

I built mine about 20" tall... 3ft x 5ft... and it works fine.

But there isn't much room to hang a waterer... only sit it on the ground

IMG_1322.jpg

Cheers!

Potterwatch, what is the middle container in your picture?

Thank you all so much for the input and pictures, they are very helpful. Now I think I can get started building the tractor with more confidence. Thanks!

Last edited:
19992_meaties_at_sunset_014.jpg

mine
smile.png

note - I am short and chubby, the flexible pvc sides allowed me to bend them down to get in for easy access. But on reflection the sides did not need to be this tall - a foot shorter would have worked equally as well and easier for me.

Last edited:
Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil :

Potterwatch, what is the middle container in your picture?

Thank you all so much for the input and pictures, they are very helpful. Now I think I can get started building the tractor with more confidence. Thanks!

It's a bird fountain. I use a bell waterer with my meat birds now but that one works especially well for older birds in a brooder. The birds have to stick their heads in the openings to get water so it's harder for shavings to get kicked in it. I don't use it for new chicks but any that are a week or more old.​

I went and got some wood and started on the tractor yesterday. I spent 3 hours working on a 8x10 tractor. After getting the frames done and getting ready to do the sides I started to rethink the whole thing. Having one that big I think need to do it with pvc. I want to be able to put it away when not using and doing it in wood that big would have been impossible.
Today I was able to get the tractor all finished up. It ended up being 10x3, much easier to handle. The only thing I have left is to put on wheels. I'm going to use the wheels from our portable basketball hoop that got trashed during a wind storm. I've taken it apart to see what I might be able to use for other projects.
I think when we're not using it for chickens I'll put some plastic around it and use it as a cold frame in the garden.

It looks like most of you used hard wire instead of the poultry wire, any particular reason? I used the poultry wire, I hope it wasn't a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom