"Tractor Coop" in Winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nancylz, Oct 17, 2012.

1. nancylz

nancylz New Egg

Oct 17, 2012
    I could just kill my husband for getting me addicted to our chickens! Here is the situation...we have 3 "red" hens that are at least a year old, we have 6 others that we have raised since spring along with 2 ducks...a peiken, and the mallard one (I know I should have this right). Anyhoots, my innovative hubby built 2 of the tractor coops so we could move them around our property which I love. We have moved them fairly close to the house so we can access our water and electricity in the winter. I am concerned with trying to heat this though...its starting to get cool in the central part of MN but I am not sure it is feasible to run the heat lamps we bought for them when we started raising them as chicks to heat them with now. I haven't broke out the electric water thing yet I wanted to make sure I have their heat where it needs to be. It is enclosed in the roosting area but the lower part is pretty much open. We have put bales of hay and stray around it to block some of the elements...suggestions? thoughts?
    OH and BTW...I actually LOVE taking care of these little buggers. :)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I wouldn't risk running heat lamps in a tiny tractor due to fire risk, myself.

I think you have the right idea with windbreaks and hay bales. You can use tarps or sheet plastic to enclose the bottom section to keep them out of the wind. Tractors can be difficult in winter when they need to be inside a structure for a lot of the day to keep warm.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?search=tractor+winter
    here is a link to search results for many threads on winterizing tractors if you are interested

IF your tractor has significant space inside the upper part and you are absolutely certain you can hang a bulb in there with no risk of fire, I'd use a 100 watt bulb or similar instead of a true heat bulb. I'd hang it at least two ways not including the clamp with something like metal wire to make it impossible to knock down.

I hope this helps! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by